worcester19

Hi all,

Just had a call from the engine machining company where I took my Mk1 engine. Basically it needs a complete rebuild with crank regrind, new pistons honing etc - something the restoration fund will not stretch to.

Does anybody have or know of aa running GT6 engine they may be willing to sell in the West Midlands?

Many Thanks

Stephen

Hi Stephen,
Any six cylinder will fit the gap, but if you fit a Mk2 motor then you'll need to change the manifolds.

Don't rule out rebuilding your original engine though. I had my block bored and crankshaft machined last year, and the cost was very reasonable. If you're really working on a budget, someone here may have a set of good condition used pistons. Then all it will cost is rings, bearings, gaskets, maybe a new oil pump, and the machining. You'll need simple tools like a torque wrench, ring compressor and valve spring compressor to put it together.

As for reassembly, they really are simple engines. Keep it clean, check everything twice, and as long as it turns freely and bits don't hit each other, it should work just fine. Just remember to take your time, drink plenty of tea and post pictures and questions here!

PS it looks like Mal has just volunteered to help!

The machining company has to bring the engine to a higher standard than minimal functional, to prevent complaints.
There is no mention of boring so there is a good chance that the crankshaft may still be good enough to just get away with bearings.
May be worth considering just minimal work required to get it functioning at this stage to give you time to save some money and find a replacement engine if required.

Replacing bearings and rings is something you or a mate can do.
Possibly someone on her would like to give a hand. Depends on where you live.

(Looks like Nick and I were keying at the same time.  Alternatives, but similar)

Hi Steve,
I think a second hand motor of unknown condition would probably cost almost as much as the parts required to rebuild yours, a reconditioned motor considerably more.
John Bonnett has a 2500TC motor suitable for a GT6 I believe, look in the for sale section. I have met John and he is not the sort of guy to cut corners on a rebuild, just look at the quality of his work on his thread.
I believe the 2.5 motor is nicer in a GT6 as a road car than the 2.0, nothing wrong with the 2.0 depends on your style of driving. Should have one of each...oh yea I already have  ;D.
If you would like to go for a spin in the 2.5 one to see what it's like let me know.

There is a good, reasonably priced machine shop here in Hereford who would only do what is required. I have used them many times and I am impressed every time I come away from there.

Also a set of dome top pistons on ebay at the moment if you needed them.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-GT6-mk3-dome-piston-set-/171557995742?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27f1a744de

I have an early MK1 2000 engine in pieces at the moment should you require any other parts for a rebuild.

If you want a chat about possibilities PM me your number and we can chat or meet up here to see what I have.

Re-reading my earlier post, I should have been clearer. A lot of what the engine reconditioner will charge for isn't the machining, it's the time / labour to reassemble the motor.

If you get them to do the machining, and you do all the assembly, it will save a bucketload. And you will know it's been done properly. And your car keeps its original engine.