Rich Sharp

Hi all,
        i've decided to give the engine bay a good clean and brush up, i've started with degreasing and now i'm thinking i should look at repainting items as well.
I've now got a couple of questions, can i do it at home and make a decent job of it or should i look at having the parts repainted professionally which obviously is an expense, secondly if i do it at home what's the best product to use on the engine block, heater box and the like.
Cheers
Rich

Best left alone in it's natural slightly oily state I think- many years ago a previous owner painted various bits of mine- the dynamo ( hammerited, yuk! ), the thermostat housing, the timing chain cover, etc, etc, and years down the line it just looks a mess with flaking paint everywhere. Sooner or later it'll all have fallen off and then i'll just leave it!

I'm a big fan of 'Smoothrite'. Hard wearing and sticks well if prepared correctly.

Used POR15 on my old Sprintfire and it all started lifting again after 12 months or so.

If you're doing a strip down, it may be worthwhile finding someone who can powdercoat things like the wishbones for you.

I used Halfords high temp paint on my block, on the heater I used ordinary car spray paint, the rocker cover and radiator was POR 15, and the alternator was Hammerited.

Two years on the only peeling has been around the thermostat (down to my poor prep work, I think) everything else is still looking good. It's really much more pleasant working on the engine when it's not oily.