Formula 1 engine

junkuser

well my work laptop is to slow to show the whole site :-/ but pneumatic solenoid operated valve trains are widely used in f1 now.they allow better control of valve operations and you can easily dial in more or less duration and overlap plus eliminate valve float which will always eventually occur with traditional 'cams unless running horrendous poundage springs.

stuff of dreams on the site,i'll have a better look when i get home

esxefi wrote:
well my work laptop is to slow to show the whole site :-/ but pneumatic solenoid operated valve trains are widely used in f1 now.they allow better control of valve operations and you can easily dial in more or less duration and overlap plus eliminate valve float which will always eventually occur with traditional 'cams unless running horrendous poundage springs.

While Lotus have camless developement engines running (Lotus AVT), current F1 engines still use camshafts & pnuematic valve springs (AFAIK) which is what is shown in the pictures.

Those pistons are amazing, difficult to see what keeps them square in the bores with such short skirts!

Pneumatic valve "springs".
Do they increase the operating pressure at higher revs and reduce it at lower revs to minimise load and energyy consumption?
They would eliminate valve spring resonance problems.

Head design.
That beam type head is an interesting concept.
The intake and injection design shown appears simple but beautifully done.

CharlieB wrote:

Those pistons are amazing, difficult to see what keeps them square in the bores with such short skirts!

they only need short skirts because the stroke is something like 2" or less even.

i didn't see all the pictures so pneumatics are only replacing conventional coil springs then.

Archived