Rear Valance - Bumpers / Rust

Jughead

Hi guys,

I have also removed the really crusty dried up white "bumpers" off the rear of my 13/60. Only to reveal some more lovely rust. (as in photos)
Question a lot of photos i see of other heralds , people don't have the bumpers on the cars they seem to have a flush rounded moulding but no track on the valance.
Am i missing something can you remove these rusty bumper tracks and just have smooth finish (if that makes sense). And if that was the case could you later on add bumpers by making some sort of strip that you perhaps bolt onto the valance??

Any valance / bumper experts who can share some light on this subject would be hugely appreciated!

many thanks in advance.

Jug

The strips are spotwelded on. And they a nightmare as they trap the crud and rust, as you have found.

If you want to remove the strip, drill the spotwelds out. They should be visible, especially after a rub with abrasive. However, there may not be much valance left behind :o

You can buy the strips, so removing the old ones is relatively easy but as clifty says there may not be enough metal remaining in behind them to attach new ones. Replacement valences come without them so you can simply paint as is and keep the bumperless look, which is what I did with my Coupe.