Another bodywork question

oldbob

Having cured my first problem, a lack of charging by fitting an alternator,  :) I am now looking at something a little more challenging.
Both doors only shut with a VERY firm slam, they are actually pushing the windscreen surround up/forwards as they close. I should say its a convertible as you can probably allready guess.
Having followed the trials and tribulations of Toledo mans friend and others, I am wondering if there is much to be done with this, short of major dismantling. I would appreciate any advice on possible solutions. There is also a large gap at the join of the bonnet to the windscreen lower edge (3/4"), and the bottom of both doors foul the bonnet. ??)

Check that the body mounts beneath the A-posts are in good condition (doubtful) and check for signs of previous dodgy workmanship. It can all be done, but you need to know wat's causing the problem first. Chances are the bulkhead is sagging through rotten mounts so it leans back under the weight of the doors. This will also open up the bulkhead to bonnet gap, so exactly tyhe symptoms you describe.
Let us know what you find and I'll give more specific repair notes,
Cheers,
Bill.

Hi Bill,
            thanks for your assistance, what you said about the bulkhead sagging seemed to fit the bill perfectly. Only trouble is the body mountings (points A in the workshop manual ?) appear to be rock solid. So I hope you can suggest another cause.
Cheers Bob.

Bob,

If you open the doors a little and try to lift the rear of them - what happens?  Do they move?  On their own, or does the bulkhead move too?

What is the history of the car?  If it is someone elses restoration, maybe it just wasn't put together too well.  If nothing is rusty (!) or bust, you could try taking of the sill covers and removing the two bulkhead to chassis siderail bolts on each side (I'd leave the two at the front that go into the front outriggers alone) and see if you can pack up the back mounts a little.

What you must bear in mind though that is that bulkhead position and angle is very fundamental to positioning everything else so you could have all kinds of problems following on.  Just about everything is adjustable, but you could have particular problems with the hood fit if it was fitted to the frame in such a way as suit the car as it is now.

A few photos would help us, and a look at another car which does have good panel fit (Herald or Vitesse) would help you!

Nick

Hi Nick,

have just checked the doors, and there is no play in them, forcing them lifts the whole car, with a little flex in the bulkhead.
As to the cars history, I don't believe it has been the subject of a full restoration, the previous owner had concentrated on the mechanics and was using the car daily, but the bodywork has been a bit neglected.
I will get the camera out tomorrow, I'm a bit wary of adjusting the body mounts untill I'm sure its the answer. As you say  the bulkhead is central to the entire body alignment, and I don't want to make things worse.
Thanks for your help its much appreciated.

This is where you need to check for dodgy MOT repairs. As the A-post mounts are such a rot spot, they may have been repaired in the, with the usual disregard shown by garages. If they were welded without correct alignment then they will hold the bulkhead at the wrong attitude,
Cheers,
Bill.

I've checked as closely as I can, and the mountings seem solid but I can't see if they've been repaired. I presume the sills would need to come off but as these have tabs that appear to be spot welded I haven't attempted that.
I had a go at adjusting the door alignment which has helped a bit, but the bulkhead and windscreen surround still flex when the doors shut. Plus I noticed the windscreen surround seems to be rusting from the inside. I am not sure that I want to be spending a lot on this car so it may be time for a rethink.

The doors would originally be fitted by screws, they are completely non-structural. Look for a row of crosshead screws along the lip of the treadplate, and a single screw anchoring each of the four tabs to each siderail. If your sills are welded it's a sign that someone has been messing aorund without much understanding of how these are put together.
Cheers,
Bill.

Hello all, new here, only posted once before when I got the Vitesse,although I've been lurking around for a while!!

Having been caning the Vitesse around until winter I thought it was time to address the body.

I too have the quarter lights pushing the screen surround forward-although its only a millimetre or so and the doors are vertical, its still annoying,the bulkhead is solid and in my case it looks like the rear body tub has been fitted a little to close to the bulkhead, leaving not quite enough clearance for the doors.

I took the sills off saturday preparotary to slightly spreading the two halves, and found that the joint between the A post bottom and the tread plate had been welded and skimmed with filler-apparently in an attempt to make it look 'neat'-probably by the same late 80's 'restorer' who fitted the body tub.

By the time I'd dug the filler out, and ground off the welding, it was to dark and cold to start mucking around with wedges- I'll let you know how I get on with mine!!

Archived