TR7th Heaven

I want to change the glass (side windows) in my '72 Spitfire MKIV.

The passenger side just pulls straight out but the driver's side is firm. I guess the passenger side window shouldn't really do that but it does and otherwise, it works perfectly.

Anyway, how do I remove the driver's side? What do I need to slacken off to lift the glass out?

Thanks,

Richard

It must be a "feature" of Spitfires that the nearside one just pulls out but the driver's side stays stuck in its channel, as mine is exactly the same!  However, as you say, it's not supposed to be like that. Like mine, your nearside window channel rubber has probably disintegrated and the glass is just held in place in the metal U channel by gravity.

Take off the door card and wind the window down as far as it will go. You now need to take off the inner and outer sealing strips by taking off the trim clips. Easily said but more difficult to do. The gap in the top of the door is now wide enough to get the glass (and its metal/rubber U channel) up and out.  You need to undo the bolts that hold it in place first of course. You can see these inside the door.

Replace the glass using new U channel rubbers if your's are knackered. Then reassemble in reverse order as above. The fun part is getting the sealing strip clips back on.  There's another thread on the forum from a few weeks ago that details that - see here [Sorry, link no longer available].  Good luck!