Herald 13/60 Brake Pipes

midgeman

That seems a very good price but I wanted copper/nickel i.e Kunifer pipes.

He says that they come labeled up with a drawing of which pipe goes where, did you find that the pipes were all the correct length to fit as they came off the car for instance the one that runs from the 4 way union on the front chassis rail under the N/S suspension turret and across the chassis under the engine to the O/S flexible pipe and also the one that runs from the 4 way union up and across the bulkhead behind the heater to the master cylinder, the reason for my question is that I have seen some Heralds with new pipes that are routed differently than original and they don't look as neat.  

2520 wrote:
Can recommend these off ebay.  Bought a set for both my Heralds and been impressed by the price (£22.50) and quality

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Spitfire-Herald-GT6-and-Vitesse-Copper-Brake-Pipe-kit-/150955907575?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2325ac59f7

:)

Yes everything fitted exactly.  On both the estate and the convertible.  Kit comes with fitting drawing.  No alterarations needed.  Quick delivery too.  Twelve monthslater there is no sign of corrosion or leakage, sailed through MOTs.  Most importantly the brakes arte 100%.  Why pay more?

Probably the main reason is that copper gets brittle after a while; not a great thing for brake pipes. If you're prepared to replace them every so often, then the cheaper price makes sense. I bought a roll of Kunifer, 25 feet for under a tenner at an autojumble and provided I get the correct ends (never bothered looking yet!) I'll make up my own set.

I'll need to make my own custom brake lines, as my braking system is modified from standard. I was going to use copper but after reading on here is Kunifer better stuff to use? I only want to do this particular job once, so if copper is going to go faulty on me it'll be no good.

Copper Nickel Alloy (CuNiFer/Kunifer) is a far better material than copper. While I wouldn't rush strip out copper lines if I bought a car with them already fitted, I have seen many copper pipes fracture when disturbed for maintenance of the braking system. When left in place they are likely to be OK, but work hardening makes copper brittle. Any unsupported length which is free to vibrate will work harden,

Cheers,
Bill.