1500 gearbox whine

mixedbag

Greetings.

Ive a 1500 O/D gearbox that has just been installed into my spitfire and it's whining in 3rd and 4th. 1st and 2nd are fine.

Gearbox was a reclaimed unit from the graveyard so history is unknown.

Thought's on where to start? I'm trying to avoid pulling it out and swapping back to my known good non O/D unit as I'm running very late on RBRR prep (Only just got the car back on the road and need to run a freshly built engine in!)

To be honest I can't really think of anything practical advice wise beyond: Suck it and see for the RBRR and then remove, strip and rebuild when you have the time.

Depending on how deep your pockets are you could rebuild the "known good" unit with an OD mainshaft and swap them over? But that's a load of work and getting the mainshaft could prove expensive.

It's unusual for them to whine in 4th as that's a direct drive so the gears aren't actually working much. That said, some boxes do just whine a little, and maybe it's a case of hearing it because everything's spinning a bit faster in 3rd or 4th.

Try to put some miles on it this week. If it doesn't exhibit any other problems, or get noticeably worse, then just "suck it and see" as Sam says.