Spitfire Mk3 fuel pump

Horace

Hi All

Thought I'd post this as may be of help to others.  I have just tried to fit a fuel pump from Paddocks to a Mk3 spit.  The pump didn't work, the reason being that when fitted the arm was pressed hard against the cam and there was no movement possible. On measuring the old vs the new, the distance from the end of the arm to the mounting face of the pump was identical to the old one (though the arm does look to be a slightly different shape).  However, the old pump had a about 10mm of free movement before it actually started pumping and this was the key difference.  After being a bit sceptical at first, Paddocks checked their stock and it seems that the pumps at the back of the bin had this free movement but the recent stock does not.   If you have bought a pump from anyone and not yet fitted it, may be worth checking if you have the same issue before fitting.

I note in other threads people have given up on mechanical pumps for found they have scored the camshaft badly etc. Just thought this experience may be of help to others. Paddocks are sending me a replacement so I'll see if it solves the issue.  Happy with Paddock's approach by the by.

Finally, I am thinking of rebuilding the old pump but it appears that the valves can't be dismantled as there are no screws holding them in (as shown on some diagrams of "early" pumps). My car is a 1970 mk3 - how early does the pump have to be to be serviceable - I'd assumed "later" meant mk4 or 1500 but presumably not.

Regards

Bob

I believe some versions of the pump are supposed to be fitted with a spacer plate, which would go at least some way to alleviating the issue.

I've done a rebuild of a Vitesse (glass bowl) pump in the past, and it wasn't too hard. I'm not entirely sure on the Mk3 Spitfire as mine has a 1500 engine and a fuel pump from a 13/60 Herald...