Spitfire 1500 Fuel Pump

tonym3

I have got the engine turning on the starter motor so now my attention needs to shift to the fuel and ignition.

The ignition is coming on and turning the engine. Car has been sat for around 9 years so I have just put some fresh fuel in and changed the plugs and leads.

I am used to electronic fuel pumps on MG's so the lack of any click click from behind my head is putting me off the scent!

The in line fuel filter looks empty and other than the starter motor turning the engine I have no other action from the ignition system.

Being a mechanical pump is it simply a case of undoing a fuel line and seeing if its flowing? or is there a better cleaner way of checking the fuel pump?

Thanks

BrendanD wrote:
Nope, unscrew a line and see if it pumps. It should fill a jar in a minute or so.

If you have fuel, do you have a spark?

To test this do I need to be cranking the engine?

Is any line OK I assume the one from the pump to the filter is as good as any?

Have not got as far as testing for a spark yet! thought I best check if the fuel was getting close to the plugs first.

If you have a spark at the right time, with fuel in a reasonable mix and compression in the cylinders it should start.
Start with simplest things and get more complicated.
So check spark, fuel, ignition timing, fuel mix (carbs), compression in order.

fuel unpacks as
pump working?
Fuel in float chambers?
Fuel getting into the jet?

If you have a spark, then get someone to crank/turn engine over
Use a squirty bottle and with air filters off and accelerator open spray fuel into each carb and see if it fires
You could also use a more potent thing like Easy Start
If it starts and dies after a while ,then start looking at the fuel lines/pump etc

Well I was working to a bit of a deadline as I needed to get it over to the painters this morning.

So before it left it had spark and fuel was getting at least some of the way, the inline fuel filter/reservoir just next to the pump was about half full. Would I be right in saying under normal circumstances this should be full?

michael_charlton wrote:
If you have a spark, then get someone to crank/turn engine over
Use a squirty bottle and with air filters off and accelerator open spray fuel into each carb and see if it fires
You could also use a more potent thing like Easy Start
If it starts and dies after a while ,then start looking at the fuel lines/pump etc

I got spark and was 90% sure the firing order was correct, having no assistance this morning I sprayed some easy start into the carbs and turned it over was finding after a few turns I would get a puff of smoke from the carb.

I'm not to concerned now as the engine turns I have spark and fuel is starting to flow, so the way I see it is the major things are working I just need to set it up correctly so that it runs.

All on hold now whilst the painter does his work then I will have it dropped off at my local mechanic to get the carbs and ignition all set up properly then the fun begins with the rebuild.

Thanks for all the help so far, really been a great advantage having a forum like this when working on a car I'm new to. :)

Just had a text from the painter.......She runs!!!!!! When I left him he was determined tongetbher going, he said the fire order was wrong and the distributer was in the wrong position.

I feel like I've missed my child's first steps :o

9218 wrote:
Just had a text from the painter.......She runs!!!!!! When I left him he was determined tongetbher going, he said the fire order was wrong and the distributer was in the wrong position.

I feel like I've missed my child's first steps :o

At least it runs now !

Now make a video of a start up of you spitfire  ;)

That was my intention I wanted to film it's first start in 9 years!! Instead I got a text message from the painter simply stating

It's running

Good enough for me!! When I get it back I will cover the engine in cobwebs and pretend its not been touched for a decade and make a video saying its the first time it's been started.
Just keep it to yourself and no one will ever know ;)