Fuel Hoses Stainless reinforced or Standard

garyf

I've got to replace a couple of High pressure fuel Hoses from the Pump to the PRV and from the feed Pipe to the Metering Unit.

I was going to order some from Moss but didn't know if it's worth spending a bit more for the Stainless steel reinforced type.

Anyone offer any advice?

No, braided stuff is not a good idea.
There are never any markings about its quality, and when I asked one seller they replied it "was fine for all fuels" which was NOT at all reassuring.
Stick to proper, branded R9 or better hose...

I would buy braided from Think Automotive in Isleworth (thats where my MkI PI hoses came from). But you would have to post your existing hoses to them, for them to copy or take a trip there (my preferred option) and they can usually make the hoses while you wait. They can also provide stainless steel ends.

http://www.thinkauto.com/

nb.They will know the specification of any hose they supply.

ptfe lined hose is compatible with all fuels is lightweight and you can make them up yourself(if you have a good vice).but then you need the associated unions on the pump or whatever you attach them to.

clive may have been talking about the rubber lined type which could be an unknown spec.

if using pi I would rather have the extra insurance of the overbraid than just rubber hose.

only problem I have had with the braided hose so far is that I had a small oil weep and couldn't see where it was coming from around the front suspension tower,any way I tracked it down to one of the hoses,took it off and noticed a small spot of the braid was dark,stripped it back and the liner had a tiny hole in it.it must have earthed out on the tower when i was doing some welding on the car and melted the liner.
so always isolate the hose from rubbing on any metal with rubber or proper clips etc.

I've ordered some PTFE Lined Stainless Steel braided Hoses off Malcolm at Prestige.

He had the front one in stock, told him the length of the Pump to PRV one so he can get it made up, another job to do when they come through the post?

Price similar to Moss/Rimmers so hopefully they will last.