Clutch release bearing - fix in-situ?

sparky_spit

I think I know what the answer is going to be, but I'm going to ask anyway....

My release bearing has started screeching a bit when depressed, and is slowly getting worse.  Is there any way of getting some lubrication onto it without splitting the engine and gearbox, and without getting oil or grease onto the clutch plate?

I really don't want to pull the gearbox out at this moment in time, so am open to any bright ideas and suggestions?

40 minutes ago, Clive said:

Louder stereo...

I've tried that method with worrying noises before Clive, as well as putting my hands over ears and singing along with the tune. It didn't work....

Looks like the box is coming out then.  If I'm really organised I might get my new, new, engine back together and stick that in at the same time.

Pigs might fly.

3 minutes ago, sparky_spit said:

I've tried that method with worrying noises before Clive, as well as putting my hands over ears and singing along with the tune. It didn't work....

Looks like the box is coming out then.  If I'm really organised I might get my new, new, engine back together and stick that in at the same time.

Pigs might fly.

Nothing like  a bit of motivation... Just think it will save you time to do it all at once.

On 01/07/2021 at 14:04, sparky_spit said:

I think I know what the answer is going to be, but I'm going to ask anyway....

My release bearing has started screeching a bit when depressed, and is slowly getting worse.  Is there any way of getting some lubrication onto it without splitting the engine and gearbox, and without getting oil or grease onto the clutch plate?

I really don't want to pull the gearbox out at this moment in time, so am open to any bright ideas and suggestions?

The problem with the noise is not just lack of lubrication but that it is in the throes of disintegrating.

Change it and be a satisfied happy bunny,

PS - is it possible to simply pull the GB rearwards (rather than complete removal) and change  the bearing whilst still inside the car  (I am using my TR4A as a basis for this idea)

Roger