What spares NOT to carry.

We've got a thread for which spares people will be carrying, so I thought it wise for one on what not to carry - to reduce confusion. This is also a reminder of what was stated at the drivers meeting.

This will be my 7th entry and on my first I carried two spare wheels, brakes pads, everything! 

Don't carry what you aren't willing to repair.

Don't carry what you aren't capable of repairing.

Don't carry anything unless you also include the additional items to facilitate that repair.

As an example,  my last run (2018) resulted in failure due to a rear UJ. It took me two days to replace that UJ at home with the use of a large vice. So I know that's not a repair I will do at the side of the road, but others might.

To get around that, I have seen others carry entire rear assemblies on the event which is a great idea as it means you're covered for rear brake failure as well as UJ and bearing. But not all of those cars carry both sides,   axel stands, brake fluid, the tools to adjust and set the handbrake and brakes. Pretty soon in a small chassis car you're running out of space for the entrants and you may as well tow a donor car with you.

So don't carry thermostats, pumps, etc unless you have hose clamps, gaskets, sealants and clips. Think about how YOU would repair that at the side of the road and if you can't or won't do it, don't carry it. And if you're worried about an item now, replace it this week and test it at the weekend. 

• Like 4

When John Kipping, and myself went to West Africa in his Herald in the 90's we took a considerable spares package. It included engine internals, a complete halfshaft assembly, all the internals for the gearbox, and the diff, etc, etc.

All we ended up using was a a quick squirt of Araldite to fix a hole in the radiator after the Kenlow fan mountings wore through the core while we were driving through the Atlas mountains

Edited by Slimboyfat
  • Like 3

On 21/09/2021 at 07:55, ferny said:

Don't carry anything unless you also include the additional items to facilitate that repair.

To get around that, I have seen others carry entire rear assemblies on the event which is a great idea as it means you're covered for rear brake failure as well as UJ and bearing. But not all of those cars carry both sides,   axel stands, brake fluid, the tools to adjust and set the handbrake and brakes.

On the small chassis cars the rear halfshaft/hub/bearing/UJ is nearly always a show-stopper if it fails. There have been a number of shaft failures over the years, usually within the hub, which prompted me to make up and carry a spare made-up shaft on long events, plus a lightweight trolley jack and stands. So that it will fit either side, the brake backplate has been altered so that the brake cylinder and shoes will still fit with it on either the nearside or offside - the rectangular hole and slot being modified to suit. Also, in most cases of failure that I know of, the brake pipes were also ripped off as wheel and hub parted company with the car, so I have made up blanked off pipe ends and ready plugged hoses should they be needed. It might mean continuing the event with only rear brake working but it would be better doing that than retiring from the event completely. It doesn't take up much space in a Spitfire boot and I'm working on the principle that it's not going to fail if I'm carrying a spare.... 

Edited by sparky_spit
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, sparky_spit said:

and I'm working on the principle that it's not going to fail if I'm carrying a spare.... 

🙂

Seems to work for me. I have a collection of parts that have done a lap of the UK and visited at least 15 European countries, most of them several times, purely as passengers.  Of course the rules for European travel are a little different as there could be some advantage to carrying parts a local garage could fit (but not easily source), but that doesn’t apply here.