Piston orientation

Nick Jones

Finally in the process of assembly the 2L bottom end for my Vitesse.

I'm foxed by the pistons as they have no arrow on the top to show me which way to put them in. They are supposed to be AE Hepolite pistons and have been run before, but for very few miles and will be fitted with new rings.

It may be that they have a central gudgeon pin and orientation does not matter, but I'm pretty sure every other Triumph engine I've built has had pistons with offset gudgeon pin......

Anyone know? See pic of piston crown......

Thanks

Nick

Nick, here's an idea.....

Put all the pistons in a row
Put a single gudgeon pin through two pistons, so they're connected
Do this with all the pistons so you form a 'train' of pistons
Place a straight edge along each length of the pistons

Now, take one of the pistons out of the 'train' and turn it around

Now see I'd the straight edges still touch every piston, or if there's a gap due to the pins being offset

I'm sure there are far easier ways to do this, but I've been at work all day and my brain isn't working

Nick_Jones wrote:

It may be that they have a central gudgeon pin and orientation does not matter, but I'm pretty sure every other Triumph engine I've built has had pistons with offset gudgeon pin......

Nick

Agreed.

i'd always assumed the markings are to be "read from the front"  so all aligned the same and with the marks readable from the left hand side of the engine - if that makes sense

Anthony,

Thanks - very useful link that and a good method of checking.  I've got the engine temporarily assembled for deck height measurement now but will give that a go when it comes apart again just to be sure.  My pistons are Hepolite so pins may actually be central.....

Also useful info on the decking which will be the next task!

Cheers

Nick