Robsport Freeflow exhaust boxes

Martins Stag

I have noticed on the Robsport webb site they list  "freeflow" exhaust boxes as far as I can tell they look the same as normal boxes. So are they standard size just with less sound deadening in? Has anyone used them and if so do they may any difference to either sound or the performance?

Martin

Probably a staright through design, and originals may be baffled?
Straight through will be louder and may produce a tiny bit of extra power, but I bet you wouldn't notice on a "blind test" (except the noise difference)

• 1 month later...

While the power figures are a little bigger a certain series does cover what effect the silencers and cross pipes have on an engine.  Some bits are quite surprising.

If the figures in the videos below are correct  I am a little gutted that I didn't ditch the H-Pipe when I was considering a budget and easy silencer fitment.  I planned to just fit either some cherry bombs to the Stag or some straight through Jetex/Simons silencers.  I however wanted to keep the H-Pipe for the improved torque from what I had read elsewhere but was keen to try it out.

Warning, the American accents may get on your nerves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCio5K0WfHU

https://youtu.be/bXQ-cXeri1Y

https://youtu.be/Y7_lSU3D0jw?list=PLGvTvFzdMg_O2T3UdUEt5dIHutSOu7srE

• 5 months later...

Julian

That was my understanding to. But has anyone done it? I subscribe to Clive S view on modification that as long as it doesn't change the overall design of the car it is fine. My next door neighbour runs a bespoke exhaust service a I was dreaming about a pair of Freeflow exaust boxes plus a x crossover pipe.

Martin

When I first installed the Stag engine in my TR I didn't have a link pipe of any sort fitted. Eventually I fitted an H pipe. Just like in the link above it gained big time in bottom end torque, but I lost out slightly above 5300rpm.
The losses were tiny compared to the gains, and fuel consumption improved by 10% so it was a no brainer to use the link pipe.

I have not tried an X pipe because quite honestly it looks like far too much trouble for potentially tiny gains. The exhaust system in the link above had a link pipe about 3 feet long, the ones in my Stag and my TR are about 6 inches so they have more flow potential anyway I would have thought.

Neil

As someone who runs a dyno all day I found these tests really interesting. Also when I cut the silencers of my own Stag open i wondered how it managed to even make as much power as it did, the internal baffling looked really restrictive. I need to test some straight-throughs on it to get an idea of just how restrictive the standard silencers are.