Exhaust manifold ...the Good...bad and ugly..

G_Cam

Hi all
I'm doing a few mods to the 4a.. a and  looking for a better exhaust manifold..
There are a few on the market.. I'm looking at stainless ..  but what is your own experience...  

Which manufacturer  gets your thumbs up in terms of fit/flow/finish/good value?

Thanks all

The standard 4A manifold is very good.
If going for a fabricated one consider the exhaust system to get the best from it.

I have a Phoenix manifold and it works very well - the feeling is that the engine os breathing better.
But then I also have a straight through single pipe exhaust (Phoenix). They do standard or noisy. I think mine is standard as the missus can sleep on a long journey.

If you go for a fabricated manifold also consider some form of heat insulation.
A number of people use the TRactor tape - looks awful, crude, fire hazard, and not cheap for what it is.
Camcoat do a ceramic coating that appears to work (haven't measured the temp but the exhaust at the back is considerably hotter than before). many different colours available and again appears durable - mine is 9 years old and still looks good. If you go for it consider the triple coat.
Zircotec do something similar and many people like it.

You will need a heatshield if you are running an alternator.

Or you could stick a straight through single pipe exhaust onto the standard manifold.

Roger

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the reply Hogie
I have taken a punt on the Moss one.. Speaking to the Chic/Ian at Chic Doig it appears to be decent value in Stainless vs some of the bigger branded options.... time will tell I guess...

I'm on countdown to Goodwood... and still have no Engine back... so there is a bit of a space in the engine bay... so there may be some late nights coming up!!! SWMBO has even started looking at other cars to buy in case the TR is not ready..