front side lights

Davemate

1964 convertable herald--single bulb twin filament---side light/indicator
i have no front side lights but the rear ones are working fine.The front indicators are working fine
if i put a meter onto the feed(side light) i seem to have 11.80 volts but the bulb does not light up, the bulbs work fine if i put them either into the rear holders or if i conect to the battery,so the bulbs are good.
i have run a wire from the holder to the battery earth, so i have 11.80 volts and a good earth and still nothing,
without the earth wire fitted the indicators still work fine so i would say the standard earth must be good anyway or the indicators would not work.
do i need 12 volts to make the bulbs light up or is 11.80 volts enough ?
why would the rears work and not the front ?
i have even put a wire from the feed in the holder to the bulb then to earth and nothing -but the bulb works as a side/brake light in the rear
it does not make sence !
i hate electricals

The bulb should light up fine with 11.8 volts,it sound as if the side light pin inside the bulb holder is dirty or corroded, stopping power from travelling through to the small filliment in bulb. A good way to test if its the bulb holder itself, is to see if you getting any power inside the bulb holder, by touching the two pins inside bulb holder. Hope the helps, Jordan

herald948 wrote:
Where are you putting the meter onto the "feed"? At the bulb contact in the base of the socket or somewhere further down the line?

At the bulb contact in the base of the socket there are two contacts one for side light (11.80 volts) and one for indicator(0 volts)

2504 wrote:
The bulb should light up fine with 11.8 volts,it sound as if the side light pin inside the bulb holder is dirty or corroded, stopping power from travelling through to the small filliment in bulb. A good way to test if its the bulb holder itself, is to see if you getting any power inside the bulb holder, by touching the two pins inside bulb holder. Hope the helps, Jordan

the two pins are both live feeds one for the side lights and one for the indicator
the sides must be the earth
if i put the bulbs into the rear both the side kight and the brake lights work ---so both filaments must be good !

not surprised - the earth should be through the body of the lamp holder which is earthed to the bodywork by the screws through to the bonnet.

apologies if you already know this but the twin filament bulb you are testing is correct - one filament for sidelights the other for indicator.

check ohms between lamp holder and body/stroke batt neg

MikeyB wrote:
not surprised - the earth should be through the body of the lamp holder which is earthed to the bodywork by the screws through to the bonnet.

apologies if you already know this but the twin filament bulb you are testing is correct - one filament for sidelights the other for indicator.

check ohms between lamp holder and body/stroke batt neg

1) the fact the indicator works must mean the earth(via screw) is good,in the last pic under my thumb you will see the end of the wire that goes to the earth on the battery, when i re-mount the holder via a scew the indicator works i only used the wire so i know i had a direct rock solid earth

2) the indicator works fine

3) it does show 12 volts(as in the picture) ---ohms  :-/---when it come to electrics i am a total numpty :B

1344 wrote:
1) the fact the indicator works must mean the earth(via screw) is good,

Not necessarily.

On cars with separate indicator and sidelight bulbs within the same housing, a common failure mode is for the indicators to glow with sidelights, or for the sidelights to flash with the indicator. These symptoms would be typical of a poor earth, with the indicator in this case finding the easiest path to ground via the sidelight filament.

Difficult to tell with a twin filament bulb, but try to observe whether both filaments are lighting with each indicator flash.

Cheers,
Bill.

ohms is resistance (or continuity). You have a digital meter so there must be an option to select (or it does it automatically).

If you measure resistance between two connected points then the reading should be zero or very low if the connection inbetween is good.  If the connection is broken then your reading will be max or infinity ie. 99999 or O/L perhaps.

A good earth reading on the car should not be more than 1 or 2 ohms

my fault is on BOTH sides
so the video might be the answer, ill check the earth on the other side(drivers side) if needs be i'll fit two temp earths just to make sure

i hate electrics
i am well chuffed that everything elses works though,not to bad for a car thats not run for 20 odd years

mike
       on my meter i can check for continuity(touch the ends of the testing wires together and it bleeps)and i have tested from the battery earth to the sides of the bulb holder and yes my meter bleeps
although by putting the temp earth lead in place to the battery and having 12 volts of power it still should light up,i would have thought
i'll check the othersides earth and see what happens
i might even remove both holders and test them one by one,by conecting them to the battery and use a temp earth lead
to my way of thinking  this makes no sence ---power and earth the light should light up !

tomorrows another day

Is the inside of the lamp holder where the bulb should be earthing clean ? It's all very well to test the outside of the bulb for earth but could be a different story if the bulb holder is rusty. Try cleaning the inside with a bit of sandpaper. Cheers Tony.

nang wrote:
Is the inside of the lamp holder where the bulb should be earthing clean ? It's all very well to test the outside of the bulb for earth but could be a different story if the bulb holder is rusty. Try cleaning the inside with a bit of sandpaper. Cheers Tony.

I have done so,if you look at the bottom picture you will see under my thumb there is the end of the wire that goes to the battery(earth)
So I have 12 volt feed and a wire that goes to earth and the bulb does not light up !

i cleaned the 3 way bullit conector that splits the loom to go to both sides and now i have side lights and indicators i cleaned them because after pulling it apart the bulb would not light by holding it on the bulb
and that was bypassing the holders, after cleaning the bulb lit so i cleaned the rest and it worked  :)

so problem sorted

Archived