Changing lights over to LHD

andyc

Now living on the continent I am about to change my headlights over to LHD. I have bought a complete set of LHD lights from Rimmers which comes with bulbs and a pair of adaptor leads with 3 cables.

I'm probably being thick but I just want to be sure I am on the right wavelength. Each light on my car has 2 wires. But the new bulb in the dipped beam requires 3 wires thus the adaptor. I am assuming that the 3rd cable in the adaptor lead is intended to link up with the +ve feed to the full beam, therefore giving 2 full beam lights on each side. Is that correct?

Secondly, does anyone know the settings for LHD lights. I am trying to get the car prepared for the French equivalent of the MOT so it needs to be right.

Andy

yes, originally stags were dip on outers and always on, mains in teh centre when required.

You now have outers that illuminate mains as well, as you can't get dip only halogen headlights.

You could just not wire the mains in the outers, to leave the same as you have, but that is possibly not legal in France.

having both dip and main on in the outer will generate more heat and use more power.

cheers

Colin

As for the "settings" they are the same as uk, but the difference is the dip is opposite.

I would go to your local garage and get them to set them up on a beam tester, it's worth the cost (should only take 5 minutes or so) that way you should be ok for the test, and if not then you can go back to the garage and get them to sort it (free)

Take off the outer rings so all they have to do is turn the adjusters. Will save you the labour cost of them taking off the rings.

Cheers
Shaun

Thanks guys.

Colin that is about what I thought, I just wanted to be sure before going too far. Things aren't so easy to sort over here if you get it wrong. The Stag hasn't really got much of a following here. Spits and TR's are fairly well known though.

Shaun, I plan to take it to the garage to get them checked once I have set them up, but I wanted to get them close. I don't know what the UK setting is to honest. Any ideas how I can find out?

To get it in the rough area, get another car your's/wife's/girlfriends/friends etc, park it about 1/2meter away from a wall, (measure from wall to headlamp) place 2 boards there or tape some cardboard there, one for left and one for right.  mark the top edge of wood/cardboard with tape or chalk, (horizontal) as you will have to move them out/in depending on size of car you used first,

Switch on the lights, and with pen or felt tip, mark along the top of the beam pattern, (it will go straight, then have a kick up).

Then sit your car the same distance (wall to headlight) and adjust until they are the same or near enough.

If that makes sense.
Cheers
Shaun

Archived