Mk1 front wing fitting..

fogothdon

Hi all,
I am finally getting round to doing some body repairs, and am looking to replace both front wings on the mk1.

I have spare wings, but I am scratching my head as to how to attach them to the nose cone at the corners. They appear to be spot welded
from the inside, and for one I have no access to a spot welder, and two I would imagine that you would need special weird shaped spot welder arms to allow access!

Is it easier to retain the front top and side of the original wing (mine are ok here) and cut the new wing to suit and weld together?

Many thanks,
Donald.

I did this years ago, can't remember all the details. I think you have to take the headlight panel off of the nosecone to gain access.

You can seam weld the join from the top and then grind out the join to make it look OE.

One tip from Chris W was if changing the front wings make sure the sills are ok and if not change them at the same time.

Otherwise you'll be cutting off the bottom of your new wings later on to repair the outer sills.

Donald

believe that all the front end was fitted as one from factory...........

On my new PI , as Richard say's had take the headlight panel out and also cut an hole in the inner wheel arch to be able to weld in place.......

As you say maybe easier to just cut and repair required section...............or save the wings and buy the sections from Llyod?..........

Which car you doing Damson PI?

Donald

It may be easier to cut the front inch or so off the new wings and leave an inch or so of the old wing in place, and then joddle a flange to fit one behind the other.

It may also give a better finish if you still have perfect wing tops and flanges in the drain channels to leave them in place and cut the tops off the new wings.

Then you are getting towards the repair panels...

Cheers

Colin

thescrapman wrote:
Donald

It may be easier to cut the front inch or so off the new wings and leave an inch or so of the old wing in place, and then joddle a flange to fit one behind the other.

It may also give a better finish if you still have perfect wing tops and flanges in the drain channels to leave them in place and cut the tops off the new wings.

Then you are getting towards the repair panels...

Cheers

Colin

Thats how i did the last pair i fitted, Found that to be the easier and neatest way to do it, you do need  to have good metal  round the edge of the nose cone to do a neat job,
Have also glued it to the nosecone before, but not happy doing it that way.
Not done it by removing the light panel before but would think its very time consuming getting them out without damage to be able to fit them again, As only taken them out when replacing the nose cones

cheers Andy

GT6_User_and_Abuser wrote:
Or clean up the surfaces really well, liberally apply tiger seal to them, then put some mole grips on the flange inside and leave for a week. You get a nice smooth join on the outside once you've wiped it back.

Thats what i used when said glue.

Thanks guys for all the replies, has helped clear my mind immensely.  :)

It is the Damson Pi Lee, I posted a couple of pictures on facebook a little while ago.

I actually have to replace the nose cone and valance as well, and I have two options..

1. I have a nose cone and wings, but no valance, was going to buy one with spares group.

2. I also have a complete front end of a car, in very good nick, complete with the first 4/6 inches of front wing. Bought off ebay a while ago.

So I think the best/easiest option is to fit the complete front end, joddling the wings as I go. My current wings are good at the top and sides

where they meet the nosecone.

Excellent,
Donald.

fogothdon wrote:
Thanks guys for all the replies, has helped clear my mind immensely.  :)

It is the Damson Pi Lee, I posted a couple of pictures on facebook a little while ago.

I actually have to replace the nose cone and valance as well, and I have two options..

1. I have a nose cone and wings, but no valance, was going to buy one with spares group.

2. I also have a complete front end of a car, in very good nick, complete with the first 4/6 inches of front wing. Bought off ebay a while ago.

So I think the best/easiest option is to fit the complete front end, joddling the wings as I go. My current wings are good at the top and sides

where they meet the nosecone.

Excellent,
Donald.

Ah

apologies Donald..................

thought it was you but your pic looked different.............but the car didn't.