Vitesse front wings and front floor.

G8HSV

Hi

I need a couple of front wings for my Vitesse hope to get them from TDF.

I have heard that the Vitesse wing is a modified version of the 13/60 wing and the Vitesse wings are £13 more. I have heard talk of Vitesse wings not really fitting correctly and having to be beaten/modified so would it be better to go for 13/60 wings and make them fit?  Also does the wing come with the 'seam' at the rear (where it joind the bulkhead or would I need to salvage from the 'old' one?

Now onto floor panels.  I have seen front floor panels that are 'total' replacements.  The bottom only is rusted on the drivers side only (the rest of the metal on the uprights is sound...caused by a wet carpet) and passenger side still has the original paint.  Is they anything available for this type of repair?

S

I'd go for the Vitesse wing as modifying the swage at the headlight area will be tricky.  Not sure on the seam bit.  Go for a complete floor pressing and trim off the bits that you don't need as the TDF panels are correct and made from the original pressings.  I hope that this helps.

Mark

All current replacement wings include the vertical stiffener at the back edge, however it lacks the necessary inward kink at the top. This forces the wing inwards, causing a misalignment. Most of us unpick the flange and re-use the original stiffener.
The reproduction Herald 1200 wings are very poor, however being a simpler modification, there's less to go wrong with the Vitesse panel. I'd still opt for modifying the 13/60 wing, but that's personal choice.

Canley Classics make a drop-in floor panel of decent quality, another company makes a very poor panel of similar configuration. Given your requirements, I would opt for the Canley panel as the most straightforward option.
Contrary to popular belief, the full floor panels are not made on original tooling. Placing a Stanpart floor next to a reproduction reveals numerous differences (though the replacements are still very good),

Cheers,
Bill.

I replaced my wings a year of so ago, and just placed the bonnet on the car. I noticed when looking at the car front on I can see the hinges where they bolt on the ends of the door, so the overall width of the bonnet appears about an inch to narrow. I have put this down to the fact that the bar that runs across the centre of the bonnet to the inner arches not being bolted tight. I just followed the seams on the top section of the bonnet and only replaced the parts where the bonnet cones locate. You've got me worried now incase there misaligned due to to the wings being out.

Blue

93 wrote:
You've got me worried now incase there misaligned due to to the wings being out.Blue

Looking along the wing from the back edge, there is a step where the wing meets the bonnet top, ie the wing sits out about 1/4" (roughly speaking from memory). If you retained the as-supplied reinforcement at the back edge, without modification, then the wing and top panel will be flush, making good alignment at the sides impossible.

Cheers,
Bill.

No, I never realised there was this problem with the wings first time i've fitted them to a Vitesse so used them as supplied and am sure there are flush with the top section. Thats going to be fun to try and rectify then :(. It really pees me off that these parts are sold fit for purpose by Fitchets who I have bought thousands of pounds of parts off over the years. If they just mentioned that there may be a problem I could have looked out for it and sorted it at the time. The rear wing they supplied was 10mm to short, and numerous Spit and GT6 parts I have had to play around with its a real minefield, one step forward and five back! Thanks for the info Bill I would have been scratching my head for weeks.

Blue

• 2 years later...

I know this thread goes back a long way but to be honest the Vitesse rebuild has faltered, a combination of waiting for bits to be built (still waiting 15 months on)  other projects ie. GT6, Spitfire, and now MX5 turbo project, lack of real work - money,  and also the problem of getting everything to line up to an acceptable level to me. The biggest stumbling block for me is with the front wings as this is above. A yeaer or so ago I un picked most of the mig spot welds a two day job, not easy, and fitted the bonnet to the car pulling the wings out to line up with the doors. Still not 100 per cent happy and wondering if this is as good as I am going to get it. I have had to pull the wings out about a !/4 inch. Just doesn't look right! any ideas?

Mark

That looks about right. The vertical strip at the back edge of the wing is supposed to kink inwards at the top, the repro parts don't do this so plenty of wings get fitted without the step inwards to the bonnet top.
The step isn't obvious on most Heralds because the stainless finisher sits along it, it only becomes apparent when the panel is fitted flush and nothing aligns,

Cheers,
Bill.

Edit:
I've just seen my own post from two years ago, saying exactly the same thing.

The step between the wing and the bonnet top looks about right to me to, although it may not look right now, when the stainless steel finisher strip is fitted it won't be so noticable, the Door skin also has this slight step which should match up to the bonnet?

I've noticed that a lot of restored cars have problems with the Rear of the front wing not aligning with the Door, obviously because of the reasons stated by Bill with the Reproduction wings.

I'll see if I can get time to take some photo's of the this area on my Vitesse, which to my knowlegde has never had replacement wings.

It may help you during the rebuild?

(If you where to use an Original Stanpart Vitesse wing everything would line up for sure, but they're as rare as rocking Horse Poo!! ;D)  

Thanks for the replies.

I did take this pic at one of the shows but it is just trying to translate this and replicate it on my own bonnet that is a bit tricky. Once I get around this problem the body is virtually there I think.

cheers

Mark