Cleaning petrol tank

Rychu

I have recently done this very thing...

Mine had sat for about nearly 14yrs...the last 4 being dry. I thought just pouring some petrol in and giving the tank a good proper shake and emptying, then again...then again would be enough. NO, it was not....and my tank was/is in good condition. I still had fine rust bits in filter immediately after each start up.

Get on the Frost website and buy the tank lining stuff, along with marine clean and metal prep - about £60 for the 3 (3x 1L)

Tank is now totally mint inside and fuel is crystal  :) Well worth the time & money imo.

Recommend using forced hot air to dry tank FULLY before prep and lining.

HTH's
S

I used electrolysis to clean my tank out, worked great! Basically just filled it up with water, 2/3 cups of daz washing powder, anode dangling in tank connected up to a car battery charger. All rust attracted to the anode away from the tank itself. Left it sparking clean. I then promptly filled it with distilled water to clean out further, then topped up with petrol to stop it rusting.

7112 wrote:
I used electrolysis to clean my tank out, worked great! Basically just filled it up with water, 2/3 cups of daz washing powder, anode dangling in tank connected up to a car battery charger. All rust attracted to the anode away from the tank itself. Left it sparking clean. I then promptly filled it with distilled water to clean out further, then topped up with petrol to stop it rusting.

Done the same, good results.
RR

7112 wrote:

Thanks for all your replies.

I'm tempted to give this a go.

Richard

242 wrote:

Have a look at my Tiger thread, page 5.
RR

Hello RR,
I must be really thick as I cant figure out how to search for a particular thread. I can do a word search but this doesnt bring it back.
Are you able to send a link?

Thanks

Richard (also RR  :))