gary saunders

Putting a diode across the points of a relay is supposed to reduce the wear on them.  I've noticed on some Bosch cube relays that have schematics printed on them that they've put one there in the manufacture of the relay.  It would probably be a good idea for us to do the same, since original-appearance relays are apparently gone, & sort of easy since the blade connectors are exposed.

I think that by removing the relay & just putting a button on the dash that you have moved the point of wear & failure from the relay to the pushbutton contacts.

I could never figure out what supplies the ground for the horn relay. Yes, it goes through the contact ring in the steering wheel hub, but where is it actually earthed? I think it is through the steering rack (through the pinion pressing on the rack), but I'm not sure. If this is actually the case, then it explains why any intermittent problem I have with my horn goes away after I wiggle the steering wheel.

Putting a diode across the relay contacts is a good solution.  The coil in a relay is a small inductor, like the coil used in an ignition system.  When the circuit is broken a massive voltage is induced, which can cause arcing.  Putting a diode across the coil dissipates this voltage safely.  

Be aware that diodes are directional, ie it matters which way round they are connected!  There will be a line at one of the component.  This end should connect to the positive side of the coil.  Diodes can be obtained from most electronic shops, eg Maplin.  Look for something like an 1N4001, or ask for advice in the shop.

If I recall correctly, some horns are electro-mechanical in nature, ie they have a coil in themselves, which may again cause arcing.  If the horn does have a coil inside it may be beneficial to put a diode across the horn connectors, again, observing polarity.

Hope this is of use.

Archived