Hello!. New member with a few electrical questions

jamiepeers

"Finally I have installed the points and condenser. Does the lead from the condenser connect to the point’s spring arm AND the LT - wire?"

Yes, told you a manual would be useful, and the white wire with black wire trace to the - side of the coil, which I think already is, and the earth wire from the dizzy body to the condenser screw.

As quoted relay next to battery is nothing to do with the ignition.

Take the plugs out and with hand pressure on the belt turn the fan blade till the heel of the points is on the high point of the rotor cam.  Clean the points and set them the gap to 0.015”
Turn the engine so the points are closed then you can do some checks.
Turn the ignition on, flick the points open, you should get a small crack/spark, however a large flash may indicate a failed condenser, which will cause bad starting and miss firing when running, but shouldn’t prevent it trying to start.
Turn ignition off.
Put the rotor arm on and the rotor cap.  Put a plug (gap0.025”) in the plug lead and earth the body of the plug somewhere on the engine.  Get someone to turn the engine over on the key, you should get a spark.  
Refit plugs.
Assuming the timing hasn’t been disturbed, a spark at the plugs and (Fresh) fuel in the cylinders = explosion.

Now my car came with a 12v coil, no ballast resister or wire and I converted to Accuspark, so I am quoting from the Haynes again. From term’3 on the ignition switch is a white wire that I assume is ballasted (originally) and joins a white/yellow wire from the starter solenoid and another white/yellow wire from the + side of the coil.

8)

4540 wrote:
...Just a quick question. I noticed a small wire bolted to thye drivers side steering rack mount. Is this the earth wire?

Yes. In my case though, the '65 has 3 wires from the factory, sharing 2 ring-connectors.
Here's a picture. The third, larger ring on the top is the braided cable I added to connect this bolt directly to the frame/body/engine/battery.

I'll look over some of the rest of your comments later. It's late and I'm a bit fuzzy myself, so am going to keep to the simple questions for now.

Cheers!

Paul

Jamie,

I've just discovered that when using the Accuspark, any ignition suppressors should be removed, so don't reconnect the radio suppressor to the new Accuspark coil, when you fit it
Mind you it hasn't cause any problems with mine, as far as I know but the one on my coil is now unplugged.

8)  

Archived