Spitfire 1500 electrical question

MarionM

Hello,
This is my first time on the forum.
I'm wondering if anyone can help with a problem on my electrics on my Spitfire 1500? I'm a novice and would appreciate a pointer in the right direction...
All was working fine until going over a bumpy road made my headlights stop working, which down a country lane was not much fun. The lights not working are as follows; headlamps/rearlamps, sidelamps etc, dash back-lighting, hazards.
However the indicators and brake lights are still working.
I've checked the circuit diagram and can't fathom out where the problem is. Fuses looked ok, and previous owner had had issues with the fuse box earthing on the chassis which doesn't seem to be the problem now. I've chased the obvious parts of the wiring round and can't see anything untoward.
Just wondered if anyone had any ideas as to the cause of the issue? - as it might save me some time tinkering about.

Many thanks,
Marion

Hi Marion,

The interior light under the dashboard, the light in the trunk and the horn should also have stopped working.

The problam is probably in the fuse box itself. The fuse which connects the brown wires and the purple ones.

The fusebox is not a highlight of lucas ingenuity! The two contacts on each side of the fuse not only have to hold the fuse, but also connect each other by the fuse itself.
Not only check the fuse visually but pull it out and clean all 4 contact before putting the fuse back in.

Another point to look at is the main connecting point of the brown wires at the starter solenoid. The main brown wire which feeds all the circuits that failed, starts here and goes to the fuse.

Cheers
Harry
(Sorry for my bad english 8) )

PS I forgot: Before working on the brown wires, disconnect the batterie!!!! The brown wires are always "hot" and are not fused!!

Archived