Spitfire Condenser

Richard B

Richard,
I have had a couple of recent reports on these, but until now only with regard to the six cylinder Delco distributors. Can you get me a picture of this one in-situ?
A Lucas type 22, 23 or 25 condensor will apparently fit with a little ingenuity, but the parts should be fit for purpose.
Let me know if you want a Lucas type to try....
Cheers,
Bill.

Hi Bill,

The old one is .670 of an inch in diameter the new one is .710. Not a lot but enough to make it not fit!  It fouls the distributor spindle.

This is for Jessica's Herald and now she's off the road as the condenser has failed. They look identical in the photo, but....

I remember Adam Chignell having this problem when he went to service her Herald so we left the old condenser on there, oh hum.

Part of the problem is the screw that holds the condenser down has a captive washer fitted; this is fouling the condenser surround meaning the screw cannot go in at 90 degrees to the base-plate (hence I managed to strip the thread of the screw).

Can someone tell me where the earth wire goes to on the baseplate on the Delco Distributor?

Archived