more TR4a wiring issues

alan pettit

can anyone help with these rather silly questions.. sorry but im building the car from boxes of parts so not quite sure.
the rear overrider wires must connect with the back lights wiring. how are they routed? there is a hole in the rear inner wing ,is this what i pass them through?
Also the lights in general ,the only light switch seems to a rheostat for the instruments.is this also the main light switch? mine may be a dud switch as it dosent seem to pull out just turn as a rheostat. thank you

Alan,
On mine the wires for the number plate lights go through the holes in the inner wings and them through the bumper iron holes in the rear valance. I can be certain that that is correct as the car has been rebuilt.
The master light switch is the left hand switch on the column, do you have the correct wiring diagram? The works manual only shows the TR4 diagram which is different, the correct one can be found in the driver's manual i.e. the little glovebox book.

Keith

Hi Alan,
             as Keith has said the number plate lights wiring runs along the overridder stabiliser then through the rear valance bumper iron hole then up to the inner wing wiring access hole - use plenty of plastic ties to keep in place.
Try and keep any connectors  inside the boot area as water from the wheels will get into and annoy the leccy bits if possible.

Again the light switch is as keith states - spot on.

The Haynes manual has the TR4A circuit diagram but not the 4.

Roger

thanks for your help chaps. i think the switch on the column is a bit tired or maybe a bit sticky through lack of use. is the switch off at the top then side lights middle and main beam bottom?

wiring diagram very helpful

ive got all but side lights at front working intermittently now ! getting there slowly

• 2 weeks later...

1072 wrote:
my column light switch has more wires than is shown in the diagram. There is a a black,purple blue,red , green blue/white. any ideas?

The colour of the wires may give you a clue if they follow the Lucas system - here is an article on a MG site that sets out the recommended wiring colours: http://www.mgexperience.net/article/lucas-colours.html

thanks for the help. last night got horn,fan and most of the lights working, no sidelights at front or indicators at front yet but the fuse box needs a good clean to make contacts better so i  live in hope !. Also got wiper working but they seem a bit slow, almost sticking, is this a sympton of lack of use? The earth contact is very good.

• 2 weeks later...