Electronic Ignition (TR7 4 cyl, Delco distributor)

Thomas4

Hi

I have seen two suitable electronic ignition systems:
- Aldon Ignitor to suit 4 cylinder Delco D302-7992715 distributors fitted to Triumph TR7. Delco - D302 - 4 Cylinder. MR-LS2  £80
- Lumenition Optronic Standard Ignition PMA60/FK113 System ~ £ 150

Are there any more? Is there a reason to buy the expensive Lumenition (I have had this kit on my MGC for 10y and it has always worked reliably) or is the Aldon just as good?

Regards
Thomas

I have used the Aldon Ignitor - it's easy to fit and goes inside the dizzy cap no problem. No-one would know it's there from the outside.

I have one ready to go on my convertible later in the year.

Don't know if it's better than the Lumenition tho.

I have had Luminition Optronic on my TR7 since 2004.  Due to the way the wires to the coil were routed, one fatigue cracked about 3 months after it was fitted.  Once fixed and correctly routed it has been faultless since.

However the 8v engine is currently being replaced with a 16v.  I will have Magnetronic on that to start with.

Just looked up the Aldon product in the Demon Tweeks catalogue.  I have not seen it before and as I look for things like that I should have seen it before, so I suspect it is new.  That may be why no one has tried it.  I would have no problem fitting Aldon products.  Although in the future I would like to move to solid state ignition.

Thanks for all the replies. Guess I am going to try out the Aldon Ignitor since nobody said anything negative about it I can see only advantages
- cheaper
- 'invisible'
- can be fitted without removing the distributor
I only hope that the reliability will not let me down, since I don't doubt the Lumenition Optronic kit to be reliable.

• 2 weeks later...

I have installed the Aldor Ignitor now. So far I have connected the red cable (supposed to be connected to +12 V) only temporarily to the battery, and I only started the car briefly in the garage. It seems to run smoothly.

So where should I connect the red cable? I know I have to connect it to the white wire coming from the ignition lock - somewhere ... First I thought I would connect it to the white wire next to the ballast resistor where I would have easy access, but the ballast resistor is not next to the coil as shown in my workshop manual (where is it?). I could hack into the white wire next to the ignition lock, but I don't really like to do that, and then the white wire disappears under the dashboard somewhere.

From memory the ballast resistor is under the black panel on top of dash. Be easier to connect into switched 12v+ from ignition. The wires from ignition go into a connector under dash, if you unplug and release one side of the wire cable guide under steering column shroud, it is esy to access and remove the black tape to break into the white. Then you can easily go through bulkhead to distributercontrol box. You can then make a neat job of taping up.

• 3 months later...

Hi I was reading the reply to fitting Aldon electronic ignition - the positive 12v at the ignition which you tap into - the white wire.

Is this section of the wiring loom the section from the ignition barrel to the plastic connector about 12 inches long ?

Know this bit well after the new key I got cut, stuck in the barrel & I took the barrel & wiring section out  & back to the locksmith to get the key out.

Everyone says it's simple to fit the Electronic Unit but loathed to chop in to the wires not fully prepared !

Thanks Neil

Thanks for such a quick reply - think I will go down the feed from the Ignition as I can take the section of wiring out & fit a connector into the white wire to get the new feed.

Hoping for a easy installation - should be as inlet manifold / carbs are going to be off too.

Archived