headlamp dip switch

Docman

After replacing my ignition switch (which mean't pulling the steering collumn) my headlamps now only function for high (dip) beams.  The running lights (exterior parking lamps, sidemarkers and instrument lamps, that aren't burnt out) are fine.  
I am nearly positive that I had labeled every hanging electrical connector (associated with the steering collumn) properly, for re-installation.  

One obvious change now, is the orientation of the connectors on the backside of the ignition switch.  The original switch had vertical rows of contact blades, whereas the replacement connector blades are in a ring around the periphery.  I can't imagine that this has anything to do with my issue, but maybe?!?

This may be important:
Oddly, when I move the stalk to engage the low beams (which is now in the down position), I hear a relay behind the fascia clicking, trying to do something.  I don't remember the proper orientation of the stalk for low and dip beam (since this was my first repair and I've lived with the issue for a year now), but common sense tells me that the dip beam would likely be in the down position.

Any thoughts?  Electricals are my bain!

Bob,
First Dip is Low. Main is High. So your idea of low beam down high beam up would have merit. If the colours on your car are as usual then Dip is blue with red tracer, and Main is blue with white. These are the colours on the main harness those on the switch probably are different.
                                                                          Cheers,
                                                                          Paul

Bill - no OD.

Left stalk is turn signal, right is headlamps.  There is a third stalk for OD?

The relay I hear might actually be for the horns (on the bulkhead) and I've just got some wires crossed.  I haven't gotten around to installing horns yet.

It's interesting how these cars can manipulate you into  being humiliated by some problem that it takes a long time & too much headbanging to solve, & which turns out to be something simple.
It's pretty much "The keys are in the last place you look" syndrome, scaled up to greater complexity.