Any Oil filter issues on the 16V

leylandracer

Just changed the oil and filter on the 16V (Valvoline 20-50) somtime ago Brian kitley mentioned some oil filter probs-saying that the correct unipart filter must be used? i noticed the unipart filter that came off (which i presume was the correct unipart filter) had the same part number as the replacment but the old one didnt have a cork sealing ring on the end of the filter?
Any thoughts????????

I seem to remember from Sprint days that the filter cartridges with stick-on gaskets on the ends were the ones to avoid as they could move and block or partially block the oilways with catastrophic results.  The 'proper' ones have a sealing edge formed in the end casing and no gasket.

Nick

Same as Raider for me, been using spin-on filters for quite a long time now. They are very cheap and as Raide rmentioned easy to change.

If I remember correctly the OS filters (which I used till the early 90's) had profiled steel end casings with a seal inside the profiled ring ... though not sure

Correct-avoid the repro ones, as they do indeed have rubber 'seals' on the ends which partially cover the oilways-having had first hand experience of the effects avoid them like the plague.. Personally I always buy genuine Unipart ones with a formed metal 'ridge' in the end...

Paul_S wrote:
Correct-avoid the repro ones, as they do indeed have rubber 'seals' on the ends which partially cover the oilways-having had first hand experience of the effects avoid them like the plague.. Personally I always buy genuine Unipart ones with a formed metal 'ridge' in the end...

just thought it strange that the replacment unipart filter with the same part number had a cork seal and not just the formed metal 'ridge' :-/

Archived