Alex

Ok heres a thought my cars now fitted with a spin on/off oil filter.
I've got a long filter fitted if I check my oil after the cars been sat overnight its spot on,on the top mark.If however I check it five minutes after running the car its below.
Now I'm assuming that although these filters are supposed to not drain back they still will to a degree?
So my question is when should I check and top up the oil?....
Maybe I'm being thick but if I topped the oil up after its been running, but once its had a chance to get back to the sump would it then be overfilled when running?

Sorry does that make sense? :-/

Cheers ,
Alex

Does your oil filter hang down or is it sticking up in the air?

If its up, then you need a filter with a non return valve........otherwise it will empty.

If its down, then it can't drain either way (best way to be if it will fit!)

Remember if you check the oil after 5 minutes........... not all of the oil will have found its way back from the top of the engine, hence the lower reading.

I always have mine on max from total cold..........

Yes its pointing down although forwards due to the slave cylinder(maybe I should convert to auto to eliminate the slave cylinder).
Mines on max cold so no problem there I just wondered.

Thanks
Alex

Hey Sorbs looks like people dont agree with you on the economy issue.....ok I'll stay manual then! ;D

I've yet to compare my mpg to the last good run I did as an auto but as that was to stoneleigh and this weekend was to hatton park(just up the road from stoneleigh) this time I've got 1/4 of a tank left.....last time I ran out due to a faulty gauge :B.

So I would say its greatly improved the economy.

piman wrote:
Hello Sorbs,

would you be interested in buying a new fiddle, the old one is sounding a bit tired?

Alec

Hi Pieman,

Are you saying that you have a fiddle for sale?  PM me if so.  The one I have belonged to my Great Great Grandfather and to be fair, has seen better days.

Alex, as my teachers always used to say, there is no such thing as a silly question.  I kept trying to prove them wrong...... ;D

sorbs wrote:

Alex, as my teachers always used to say, there is no such thing as a silly question.  I kept trying to prove them wrong...... ;D

What you listened to what your teachers said? ::)

Archived