external oil feed for no"s 1 & 2

lloydpiestate

hi all,

a topic that has been on my mind for a long time now, external oil feed.

i use my mk2 pi every day, its fitted with a rebuilt 2000 lump at present, with a spin on filter and oil cooler, that has done about 20k miles, and is how it was when i brought it 4 years ago.

the engine is faultless day in and day out, and has fantastic oil pressure, 50- 55 at idle when hot and 65 -70 at higher revs, also when hot !!!

now most days i travel up and down caerphilly mountain, and its a steep ole thing, and i always keep an eye on the oil pressure gauge as i do so, as i cannot believe how much it moves in relation to whether you are going up or down the mountain !!!!!!!!

going up, the pressure can drop as low as 45 and you can hear the crank waining / knocking wanting oil, and going down with the auto box in 2nd and no throttle can rise to 80 - 85 !!!

so is there any more proof needed that our straight six engines need an external oil feed to at least numbers 1 & 2 !!!!!!!

easy enough to sort out an external feed if you have the spin on filter on your engine, SO the question is, does anyone do an external feed kit, ANYONE KNOW WHERE TO GET ONE FROM, as i dont have the time to make one from scratch at the mo ??

DAVE HARVEY, a nice little project for you to sort out for us perhaps   ;) ;)

lloyd

5005 wrote:
now most days i travel up and down caerphilly mountain, and its a steep ole thing, and i always keep an eye on the oil pressure gauge as i do so, as i cannot believe how much it moves in relation to whether you are going up or down the mountain !!!!!!!!

Hi Lloyd, I would go for fixing the problem at source. Sounds like the oil is to the back of the sump away from the intake. If it is oil pump starvation, maybe a baffled sump would help with a horizontal plate?