Greeks

Had problems with a slowly worsening clutch recently, as if air is getting into the system  ::).
Also I had the hose pop off twice last weekend  :o, leading me to wonder if this is the weak point and it can't take the extra pressure of the recently changed slave cylinder.

Should I:

a) try a braided hose (ie blame the problems on the stupid 30 year old plastic thing). If so, what are the connections I need to specify when I get it made up.

b) get a modern replacement m/c (cheap as chips so not worth re doing the M/C and it's only 3 years since that was done)

c) try both at the same time (will never know what the problem is then  >:()

Cheers

I would think if it is popping off you either need a nice braided one (I have one on my PI) or a decent secondhand one... I guess Oz ones do get hotter but I wonder if yours had been messed with before it gave issues... never heard of one popping off!!!

Not sure on the fittings ... someone here will know if not here is a handy link to Dave Sideways on just such a matter

http://www.sideways-technologies.co.uk/forum/Blah.pl?m-1200891060/

cheers ... reckon I'll give the braided hose a go first then.
Thanks for the link ( he goes on a bit doesn't he ;-D )

I can assure you, the popping off was not fun - apart from the WTF factor, there's all the fluid on the underside of the bonnet to clean up. Gave it a good rubbing with some wire wool ;-)

I've found it a pain ... until I remove the slave and hold it above the height of the master.

I presume you haven't got the original MK1 copper pipe set up from M to S James - that makes it harder normally, and obvously means you can't raise the S above the M

Oh well that doesn't sound like much fun ... but it's not like you should need to bleed it too often :-)

I remember bleeding the worksalike before 10CR 03  and we spent blood ages. We were sure we had it right. At the top of the Barcellonete pass, however, the clutch was inoperable - change in air pressure! Was fine once we were back down off the mountain again!!!

Best way (sometimes the only way if you have a new m/c ) is with a pressure bleed. I made an adaptor with an old lid and car valve cut from an old inner tube. 10-15psi applied from a wound down compressor (or bicycle pump) will squeeze fluid through no problem... wee bit at a time keep topping it up. Job done.......  ;)

If the problem is that the air won't come out of the back of the slave - would it work if you added a pipe instead of the bleed nipple - with a female-female union and a bleed nipple on that? With the pipe raised above the master cylinder.

• 2 weeks later...

Well this turned out to be rather good fun ... not!

Purchased braided hose.

Fitted braided hose.

Bled clutch.

Pipe between reservoir and m/c split!!!! (spraying fluid everywhere)

... car gets driven to professional who is fitting a custom modified modern replacement m/c for the princely sum of about 70 quid - end of? :-)

(Air ingress problems were almost certainly caused by a dead m/c anyway so it was inevitable)

oh, it's nothing to what you've been going through. I've never been unable to drive the car as a result.

should be sorted by the end of the day *smashes head against desk to touch wood* i'm just hoping the braided hose will still fit the m/c!

sorbs wrote:
Such problems you guys!  I noticed that the interior light on my saloon was a bit dim yesterday so removed the bulb to find that it was rated at 0.6 Watts!!

Thankfully, a new 5 Watt bulb has resolved this crisis.

Oh... interior light? It's always sunny here so we don't need them  :P

Archived