dead easy question for you - transmission oil

Sam C

Here's one that I'm almost too embrassed to ask!

Is there a dipstick for the transmission oil and if so then where?

I've found one dipstick but, having never owned a car with seperate oil for the gearbox and the engine, I don't know if I'm supposed to be looking for another one! I think the car's leaking a tiny bit of transmission oil so I just want to check I'm not about to reck it.

It's a GT6 - cheers chaps!

No transmission oil dipstick, there is a filler plug on the side of the gearbox, unscrew it and the oil should be level with the threads. If it isnt add oil until it runs out of the hole.

The plug is difficult to get to from underneath the car, on my Spitfire I cut a hole in the gearbox cover so I can reach the plug from inside the car, much easier. I made a removeable plate to screw in place over the hole.

On Spitfire 1500s the gearbox oil plug is on the right hand side of the box, I cant remember if GT6s have it on the same side.

Quote from Incaspit: "on my Spitfire I cut a hole in the gearbox cover so I can reach the plug from inside the car, much easier."

I have to check mine this weekend on the Spit 1500. I thought I might try that.
How far forward from the 'H' bracket and how big does the hole need to be to get a spanner on the plug and pour the oil in.
Does the hole need to be as low down as you can get it?

Any help gratefully accepted.

Ah well, in a spifire/gt6 that means fetching out the arm rest, knee pads, H frame, gearlever, and carpet. Thats just to get at the tunnel cover! Much easier to fold back the tunnel carpet near the clutch pedal (for RH Drive) uncover a pre drilled 2" hole and fill from there!

Nosuch silliness in a Vitesse, 10 mins and the tunnel is out of the way - even at 3 am in a German service station - whereupon you can whack things with various hammer shaped objects and/or top up oil or marvel at how clean/dirty it is in there!

Archived