BAZ

Hi people , have just fitted a rocker feed pipe on my spitty an it has quietened it down louds , i want to change the oil now ,, what is the best oil to use the engine has done 54K and runs brill

Your going to open a whole can of worms with this one............................................

My own suggestion would be to use a decent branded 20w/50 engine oil (Castrol/Duckhams etc) after all it's what they were designed to run on.

Again my own suggestion would be to halve the service interval to 3000 miles for your oil change (oil being cheaper than engine rebuilds) or a max of 12 months.

If your going to drive it hard or do motorway work/long runs then a modern semi synthetic 20w/50 may be better.

Lots of other threads and opinions on here about this if you look back through the forum ;)

BAZ those rocker oil feeds are not exactly a worthwhile addition to your car. You will find excessive oil consumption and very little merit in adding one. If you have quietened valves then that would suggest the tappets need adjustment. Th oil feed takes oil away from where it is needed and adds excessive oil to the top end. You ma be better off restricting the feed somewhat if you find there is a benefit.

I think there have been various threads on this subject.

On oil I have tried various but have absolutely no idea whether one is that much better than another. I tend to change every 6months/3000 miles so would advocate getting decent quality oil like Valvoline racing as it is quality without being really expensive.

My oild pressure seems to stay the same at hot idle irrespective of the oil I am using (@ ~ 25PSI) but I haven't tried the budget oils to see how they compare.

Best of luck and think carefully about the oil feed.....

Neil

I use my spitfire for every day use, it's done 39K (had a new Ivor Searle engine 9 years ago), I do a 25 mile round trip, with 23 of those on a motorway stretch. I use Castrol GTX 15W50 + a bottle of STP protection additive. Never had an oil leak and it runs like a dream :)

Thanks for the replies will try the 20/50   dont do loads of miles its only weekends and the odd bank holiday but after my rep mondeo titanium it is really good to feel the open air etc and driving something that feeds back the road ( usually on you arse ) Bobbyspit .where in Eccles i come from Stockport .

Archived