Oil temperature sensor placement

Nilfisken

Hi,
I am planning to give my Spitfire a few extra gauges during the spring, not only because they can give some valuable information but I also think a few extra Smiths meters will look nice. The plan is to go for a voltmeter (bought a used one from a Stag), a mechanical Smiths Classic oil pressure (just won one on Ebay) and finally a Smiths classic oil temp sensor (electric).

Most of the things will be pretty straight forward but one issue I'm still not sure how to solve is where to place the sensor for oil temperature. I have seen some people using an oil sump plug with a female threading for the senor in the middle. Any thoughts on this? If this is a good way to hook up the sensor I would also need to know what threads the oil sump plug has so I can get a new plug with the right fitting both for the pan and the sensor.

Also, will the voltage stabiliser already present behind the dash be enough to also feed the oil temp sensor, would save me a few pounds =)

Any input welcome!

Cheers

Hi all,
I would have my doubts about using the same place as the pressure take-off for the temperature sensor. There isn't any flow past that point to bring new hot oil there. So, it will only warm up by a small amount of mixing and some conduction. John D's oil cooler return suggestion is best and if not available the next might be to get a sensor that can go into the main oil gallery without restricting flow.
                                                                              Cheers,
                                                                              Paul

jonnyk5614,
If you can get the sensor into that line without cutting the flow to the valve gear off then that would be OK.
                                                                                      Cheers,
                                                                                      Paul

JohnD wrote:
The return from the oil cooler , if any, would be best.

Mmm - interesting. Could you explain this reasoning John? Maybe it's philosophical...

I decided to put mine in the feed TO the oil cooler, reasoning that I wanted to know the temperature of the oil IN the engine (or just leaving it) rather than the efficiency of the oil cooler.

Maybe it depends on your personality - glass half full/half empty etc ;)

R

Anyone that has an idea of the normal variation within an engine? If its not massively different I guess placing the sensor almost anywhere would work if one then just remembers what is normal for that very car. Any serious increase from normal should then work as a warning signal? It seems to me that placing a sensor in the sump is the simplest solution and also an area where the pressure should be less of a problem so getting a nice and tight connection should be easy.
Cheers

My bung's about 1.5" up from the base of the sump. I figured that the oil was sloshing around in there enough that it would give an accurate reading. Mostly what it's shown is that in normal driving either on the open road or in town, the oil temperature seldom gets above 60C - the water temp generally sits around 75C. This is in an Australian climate, say 35C in the day, and no oil cooler. The only times the oil gets really warm is when climbing steep hills. Porter's Pass back in New Zealand would see it rise to 90C or more, with a corresponding drop in pressure.

Pressure shouldn't be a problem if the sensor isn't in an oil line, unless you have serious piston ring blow-by.

Archived