bob dunn

You can fit the stem seals intended for a Ford pinto to Triumph guides - provided you only have single valve springs.  No mods needed - just bash them on.  This may be what Canleys sell?

Ideally the head has to come off and the valves removed but it is possible to use the Indian rope trick to hold the valves up and improvise a tool to remove the colletts from above, saving a fair bit of work.

In my experience you don't loose that much oil down the guides anyway, unless you have one of those external oil feed kits, and you can always take that off.

I run seals on the inlets only - helps keep the back of the valve clean.  Hasn't helped oil consumption at all!

Nick

Andy T recently discovered Pinto competition valve stem seals being sold on eBay - they are smaller and can be used with double valve springs (in theory)

I have ordered some for my 6 cyl but haven't received them yet.

They're something like 12 quid for 8.

34 wrote:
when i stop with the car hot its ok for 3or 4 secs then there is blue smoke.but first thing its ok , not sure what is going on .

Ah!  Nothing like getting ALL the symptoms.

It's "ok for 3 or 4 secs" because the bores are clear, but then the closed throttle lowers the chamber pressure to the max and draws oil fume up from the crank case.  It then burns producing blue smoke.
Try this.  Choose a suitable road; drive, then close the throttle and allow the car to coast, or coast downhill with the throttle closed.   Blue smoke then?  
Yes, the pressure in the inlet manifold will also be minimised, and people will say that oil will be drawn down the inlet valve stem, but it's exhaust vbalves that wear first.

You don't need valve stem seals, you need new piston rings.

JOhn

John

john  i did a compression test 1 is  10.2 atmospheres  2 is 9.3  3 is 9.0  4 is 7.9  4 looked bad so i put a drop of oil in it and it went up to 8.2  . i have a spare engine, to swop it over is my first thought   help!

Dr.House, eat your stick!
Who is the ace diagnostician here?

All you are loosing is some power from No.4 and some oil fumes.
To go on using this engine will not make it worse quickly.
What's the point of fitting another engine, unless you know that is in better nick?

Rebuild the other engine so you knwo it's good and THEN fit it.

John

Archived