price

I don't know that some GL-5's problems with attacking yellow metal (especially thrust washers and such) is as big a deal in a gearbox as it can be in a differential. But for peace of mind and limiting the number of different lubes I need to keep on hand, I stay with the factory-recommended GL-4 spec. in gearbox (OD or otherwise) as well as differential (oh, and steering swivels, of course!). I don't have any later Spitfire manuals handy, so I don't know what the factory spec'd for the J-type OD.

some GL5 are bronze compatible but as you need to know more than whats on the can its best to say 'dont go there'

certainly the bronze 2nd and 3rd gear bushes are a likely case for the  heat and load generating degradation
Baulk rings are harded and suffer less,    

stick to  what is specified  use  EP80/90 GL4 and be safe

if you look at overdrives they specifiy engine oil ,  fact a Triumph gear box is not going to survive on that,
(unlike say a Rootes Group unit) the OD will work happily on EP80/90   so the OD has no bearing on the oil its the gearbox thats the weakest link . Pete

Goody wrote:
Need to be clear here.  GL4 in type d overdrive only?   None of my 3 Heralds have overdrive and I use GL5.  What about type j overdrive?

Yes Bill, GL4 in the J-type too. In fact, I think I'm right in saying that you only ever need 2 oils in stock; whatever oil you use for your engine, and some EP80/90 GL4 for gearbox/OD, Diff, and front trunnions/vertical link. Oh, and whatever you choose to put in your dashpot(s) if you don't like engine oil.

Archived