quick question about my oil light

sohappy

i  was just going to go to the zoo, when i turned on the ignition i had to touch the accelerator to get the engine to start up.   when my foot was off the pedal the engine didnt cutout but sounded like it could at any time.  when  my foot was off the accelerator the oil light was on.  when i waspressing on the pedal the light went off

i checked the oil level it was half way between the notches, but couldnt add any more cos paul took the garage key with him this morning!

i didnt go in the end as i was worried there might be a problem, can anyone advise me if this is a problem or if we should be ok to use her?  sorry for this rushed post but i cant get hold of anyone on the phone to help me and i have a mischevious crawler demanding my attention

thank you x

Sounds a lot like someone has put the ignition and oil lights in the wrong holes!

The ignition light (red) should have a brown wire with a yellow trace.
The oil light (green) should be a white wire with with a brown trace (I think, according to my digram anyway).

So if you've got a brown wire with yellow trace going into the green hole swap the two over.

If the engine is running very slowly, like you describe, it may not generate enough oil pressure. When warm and idling does it do the same??
But if the oil light is off when driving i should be OK, but worth some further investigation at some point.

I agree with cliftyhanger... Nothing to worry about except the engine isn't idling fast enough to generated enough oil pressure to turn the switch off.
If the engine was cold, then use more choke until it warms up. If it was idling too slowly, then you need to increase the idle speed to around 850 or 900 rpm.

Sure ferny may be right, but easy to check.
Grovelling under the dashboard is a pain, so.........

The oil pressure switch is in the side of the engine block, below the distributor.
Looks like a big bolt, but will have a wire going to it.
Detach the wire (it just pulls off, give it a wiggle!) and turn the ignition on, without starting.
Only the red ignition light should show on the dashboard.
Now reconnect the oil switch wire and that should show green as well on the dashboard.

low pressure at very low tick-over may not be a problem, but needs watching, as the switch triggers at about 2psi.    That's too low for reliable running.  Invest in an oil pressure gauge.

John

Some things to try/do

Swap the OPS (oil pressure switch) for a new one they are only a few quid- I had a few fail over the years
If the car has been sitting a while not used much check the OPRV (oil pressure relief valve) is not stuck -take it apart clean put back
How oil is the oil?
What grade is the oil?
Changne the oil! (and filter!)

Fit and oil pressure gauge

my oil light comes on at idle after a long  fast run sometimes, just blip the throttle occaissionly if stuck in traffic. i,m going to get shot down in flames for suggesting this but in summer i use an oil additive to help with pressure, and in my case it works ;)

Archived