shuey

hi quick update after some advice that some of the "new" oilpumps are cr@p I thought I`d check the tollarences on mine took sump ofto find stranier had fallen of easy fix now showing very good psi just under 50 at tick over 75-80 at 3000

chrisspe wrote:
i thought pressure should be lower on the motorway cos the oil is hot and thin,  i always get a lot of pressure when cold, even at idle???????

pressure when cold will always be high as the oil is thick, as it warms up and gets hotter it gets thinner, and as the revs go up so should the oil pressure

Jony5 wrote:

pressure when cold will always be high as the oil is thick, as it warms up and gets hotter it gets thinner, and as the revs go up so should the oil pressure

up until the pressure relief valve opens.
And the valve isn't huge, so it will not allow cold oil to escape nearly as fast as hot, thinner oil. So effectively it allows cold oil pressure to get much higher than hot. I think :)

yup, on my 6 which runs spot on, its 75 on cold and that idle and running so obviously where my valve opens, normal running and would be about 30 on idle or so, a good thrashing round the track or motorway (sustained high revs basicly) and it would be 25 idle and about 60 at 2K which if you have that than your sorted, if you have more than even better.

I am with Dave on this, I read years ago that the Stag (read all OHC Triumphs) oil pump cavitates when an uprated spring is fitted.

I believe this is true and have not had one for years and run stock pump (increase oil pressure = overloaded jackshaft = failure)
My Sprint shows 50 tickover and 60 revving and hot or cold stays the same.

Just for information.

Here is a photo of the two PRVs (Pressure Relief Valve) Springs from a Triumph 6 cylinder engine (Vitesse HC): the short one is a new original length, and the long one is the toilet tune so-called 'uprated' spring.

It gave a ridiculously high pressure of about 100psi, so we did not use it.

I still don't understand why they continue to sell this crap.

Léon

Just been out and on looking closer at the oil pressure it is 40-50 at tick over and 60 on revving at 3.5k.(not had it over 3.5k due to running in.

I was on the way to Southport today after going through Ormskirk the car started to run rough (3 cylinders) I thought at first either fuel starvation or Plugs.
I ran it to Wigan where I stopped at a Motor world and checked under the bonnet.
Cleaned the plugs and increased the fuel pressure and it ran a lot better (but not right)

I limped home and on the A580 outside Walkden, there was a horrible tappet noise.
I stopped and took the rocker cover off to find one of the rocker arms had broken.
Pic Attached.
I luckily had a spare rocker shaft in the boot and I changed it and it ran with no problems.
Rob

Depends where you get them from.

Tony Lindsey-Dean/Kingston Sportscars had a bad batch which were prone to cracking like that.

In his defence, he did go to the trouble of publishing an article expaining what happened, with photos of the bad ones, compared with the replacements.

I didn't get mine from him. Mine came from Ted Schumacher at TSI in Ohio, they are gold coloured, and I believe that they are made by Harland-Sharpe, and so far I have done several thousand miles over 4-5 years without any problems from them.

I will be re-examining them in the Spring when I give my car a full service prior to the 2008 season.

Leon

Archived