High Mileage Engines

sparky_spit

Looking through a big stack of documents relating to my Mk3 Spitfire, I decided to work out how many miles my 1296 FD engine has actually done. This is not straightforward as the car has had a speedo change some years ago and the engine has been swapped out for a 1500 FM engine for period of time too, but looking through the pile of MOTs and other notes I kept, I have worked out that the FD engine has done 125117 miles so far in that car and is still clocking up more.

It is still on its original pistons/bores and crank journals, although it did get some new standard size main and big-end shells fitted in-situ after the 2013 10CR (I think) as the originals were through to the copper.

Anyone beat that?

Not me, but my mate Pete with the "rough Herald" has done 250k ish on the engine in the car since he bought it 25 years ago. He did a crank regrind when bought, a hone and rings. A few years ago it blew a piston, but Mr Brake supplied a good used one. Another hone and set of rungs, it is still going strong. Head is untouched, guides a little worn.

It doesn't get driven hard at all. Always run on straight 30 oil. And mainly on LPG.

7 hours ago, sparky_spit said:

It is still on its original pistons/bores and crank journals, although it did get some new standard size main and big-end shells fitted in-situ after the 2013 10CR (I think) as the originals were through to the copper.

So lucky to catch the bearings before the crank was damaged. I think if that can be done each time the crank can last many, many miles....

• 2 weeks later...

As some of well know...

My original Spitfire engine did 190.000miles before the head came off.

Then pistons where changed.

Main bearings where first changed at 100k, then looked at every 25 to 30k.

Big ends where only changed at 170k (just showing copper).

Sadly she smokes a bit and got worse.. and it was oil.

Changed the engine at just over 200k now to another 1500 that I bought years ago, totally original engine.

But did check the crank bearings first.

Only leaks/weeps (sometimes pretty bad) at the engine no.

For the rest.. she goes very well.