Choke cable - oops I broke it

Caroline

One bit of the choke cable seems to have snapped on Paddington, the bit to the metering unit (I think; it might be the other one now I think about it. Too early in the morning; sorry). Combined with a misfire this makes starting the car quite interesting. Do we try and fix it? Do we buy another, can we buy another? Do we have to buy a Stag choke cable and modify it? Has anyone done this? How?
The choke was really stiff to operate anyway, and having been off the road over 20 years hasn't had much exercise until this week when perhaps I overdid it a bit.

CAroline

The cable to the idle speed is a "nice to have if it works item"
The cable to the metering unit is a "must have". If you want you can fit a normal 'generic' choke cable to the MU (as long as it's long enough).

A Stag twin choke cable will be just the job but they are about 40-50 quid...

One of the cables may be a bit long for the fast idle but thats better than too short  ;D

Very interesting!! Thank you.
Barry went to Triumphland this morning and got some stuff, including a choke cable which he's now fitted. And he's adjusted a couple of butterflies that did nothing unless you put your foot right on the floor in which case the car launched itself up the road with no regard for speedlimits. Now it runs better. Also, the fuel leak is better, i.e. more fuel escapes, so he's outside right now, in the dark with a floodlamp, sorting stuff ready to take Paddington to Harewood House in the morning. I'll just dig out the breakdown insurance details in case...

Just for reference, if anyone is after long choke cables, try the Rover SD1 - I have one of these on my TR7... tricky requesting a choke cable for a LHD TR7 (which orginially had a twin cable setup to both Strombergs) which is now running the UK SU set up, only requiring a single cable. Because of the routing the cable takes for the Strombergs, the cables are a lot shorter, so you can't even just use one of them... The SD1 cable worked a treat.  ;D

Archived