Aluminium Brake & Clutch Cylinder Brackets

Bainzy

I can't see they would be any lighter than steel, certainly anything significant. They are not at all heavy in the first place.

There are much easier ways to lose weight. Usually driver first, and clear all the junk out of the car. Then it is replacing the heavy bits with ally, but it can get obsessive and expensive. Guess the best mod is the ally bellhousing, saves loads of weight. And no overdrive! I shall not mention the engine at this point........

Just thinking out loud I guess, I had seen those stainless eBay ones (nice). Reason it occurrd to me is that I'm making a new centre arm rest, and realised the current one is steel and weight can be saved by making the new one from ally.

I weigh practically nothing already and keep the car tidy (except essential spares) so that's the first two covered. On a super tight budget these days though so that rules out buying most of these aluminium bits new, definitely can't splurge 300 quid for a bellhousing. Wonder how little I could get a stanpart one for...

Bainzy,
I don't think strength is really the problem, but fatigue life certainly would be something that would need careful consideration. Knowing how much the steel ones flex under load makes me doubt that an aluminium alloy replacement built to avoid such flexing would weigh any less. If instead the alloy one were allowed to flex a similar amount I don't think I would trust it in a panic stop situation.
The arm rest is a much better choice for aluminium alloy, as its strength is not safety critical. For that matter leaving the arm rest out entirely saves more still weight. ;D
                                                                                  Cheers,
                                                                                  Paul

Archived