roger's-spit

Hi, just got my 1500 spit running. Whilst it was still on axle stands i thought i would try the gears but although the clutch pedal felt good I could not get any gears. Bled the master cylinder again, still nothing so removed the master cylinder and the clasp that holds it. There is a little play in the pivot arm but it does'nt feel right. Any one got any ideas?

Whats the history?

Has it been standing for a long time? If so the friction plate may have stuck onto the flywheel.

Brutal fix, start it in gear rev the engine and put you feet on the clutch oedal and the brake pedal at the same time. Do make sure the axle stands are secure.

Even more brutal fix, on a private road, start it in gear (3rd) and drive down the road with feet on clutch and throttle pedals.

Hi Richard, I stripped the car two and a half years ago. Sent the gear box off for refurd as it was making a rattling noise. I replaced the clutch with a new kit that I picked up from the Stonliegh show and the engine and box sat there for about one and a half to two years. Managed to get it started last week. I have refurbed the master and slave cylinders with new seal kits which seem fine with no obvious signs of leaks.

I had similar problems when I changed gearbox last year, turns out the slave was a little bit to far back so it did not engage the clutch fork before the very end of the pedal stroke. See if you can force the slave a bit closer to the flywheel? The cut out in the slave is a bit wider than the bolt that clamps it so there is some room for adjustments!
Cheers