Herald or Spitfire brake switch location

Ben Hutchings

Hi, Can someone with a small chassis triumph please share a photo of their brake pedal and brake light switch setup please? Ideally I'd like to see how it sits in relation to the steering column. 

I've been helping a mate out with his Moss Malvern and there's some odd spacings, and I'd like to see how a 'factory' car has it set up before going any further. 

Well, it's Ben that wants the info, I was just butting in with a clarification because I thought he might want to know that 😝

Incidentally, something seems odd about your last photo. The wiper motor looks almost photoshopped. It's also the wrong type - it hangs outward like the single speed square body ones used on Mk1-3, but the bulkhead has a cable throttle and the fixing holes for a twin-speed (round body) type for a MkIV

Hmm.... I would have said that trying to locate the steering column directly through the brake pedal is just asking for trouble! Moving the switch as you suggest will fix the immediate problem but if it were mine I would definitely be looking at options to move either the pedal to the right or the column to the left.

Has anyone tried a hydraulic switch? My Vitesse has an aftermarket pedal box with dual circuit brakes but the brake switch is very vulnerable to getting kicked I think - a hydraulic switch could be an answer - just wondering how reliable they are and where to site it (my hydraulics are all Aeroquip flexible lines) 

Jason,

A hydraulic switch might be your way forward, but I'm not a fan of them. They are one more place to develop a leak in the system.

If you go hydraulic, substituting a four way hydraulic fitting for the three way where the front brake lines split would give you the extra port for the switch.

Regards,

Paul