Howard81

I have a clutch issue with my Spitfire. It's currebtly having an engine swap with the knackered 1500 being swapped for a new 1300.  As the 1300 is being mated up to a single-rail gearbox, I purchased a Dolomite 1300 clutch on eBay so it'll fit the 1300 engine and 1500 gearbox splines.

However, this new clutch centre is a bit bigger and thicker and isn't fitting the existing 1300 pressure plate on the engine even though they are both 6.5" in total.  However, one is Borg & Beck and one is AP, so are there a difference between pressure plates?

Howard81 wrote:
I have a clutch issue with my Spitfire. It's currebtly having an engine swap with the knackered 1500 being swapped for a new 1300.  As the 1300 is being mated up to a single-rail gearbox, I purchased a Dolomite 1300 clutch on eBay so it'll fit the 1300 engine and 1500 gearbox splines.

However, this new clutch centre is a bit bigger and thicker and isn't fitting the existing 1300 pressure plate on the engine even though they are both 6.5" in total.  However, one is Borg & Beck and one is AP, so are there a difference between pressure plates?

Lets start again...
the 1300 Spit fire165mm dia has 10 splines
the 1500 Spitfire 184mm dia has 20 splines

are you saying it is just the thickness of the friction disc that is different?

Looks like the width of the friction material.
So it appears you need matching plate and cover......I know this is an issue with laycock stuff being different to B+B on the 2000 range of cars. It is never easy....

You could use the 1500 flywheel and clutch, just need some spacer tubes on some engines as the 1300 usually use a smaller diameter bolt. It may be available still, but IIRC it is the same as a conrod bush/spacer or something.

The friction material is the same, but the new clutch has a bigger centre part. One clutch is AP while the other is Borg & Beck, so I guess the pressure plates need to match the clutch.. I never realised that, so I've ordered a new 3-peice Borg & Beck clutch kit.. Fingers crossed!