Engine hunting at idle, on Vitesse

Dave Clasper

Hi, it does it when it's cold for a few minutes, not a big problem as such.

I was thinking, air been drawn into fuel system, though has had fairly recent fuel hoses from Moss, including the one from tank to main pipe (which is sometimes overlooked).

No apparent inlet manifold leaks.

Hoses to PCV good, as far as I know.

Fuel pump working well it appears.

Carbs are set up well, timing good, ignition system appears to be working well, as far as I can tell.

Last time I used car, I noticed after revving up a bit, it stopped.

I can't find anything useful on the net, about what may be causing this?. 

Any clues would be great

Ta, Dave 

Edited by Dave Clasper

Or running rich on choke before it's warm enough to burn the extra fuel.

If you're using it in this weather I'd not worry about it being perfect when cold as long as it setties down. Get it perfect now and you'll have to fiddle again in the summer.

Thanks. So far not a big issue at all.

I have had car 9 years and this a first, been doing it for a few months, even in mild weather, even with a tad of choke, for starting after an hour or so after running up to a good temp.

I'm sensitive to choke on this car , and use it minimally.

Can't seem to find any basics on what causes it. Info I have found is more modern, around changing/cleaning fuel injection parts, changing sensors, same info for inlet air for the fuel.

Could a surge in ignition power to plugs cause this?, or any possible causes for carb engines?

Cheers, Dave

Edited by Dave Clasper

Those moden fixes are the equivalent of us going, "get your feeler gauges out and...". 

Don't forget, this is also the first winter with E10 and/or its winter blend.

If it's running correctly during use I'd just keep an eye on plugs etc to make sure it's happy. Then when the weather gets more 'normal I'd check the settings of the choke and fueling. At least your fingers won't fall off from the cold.

As an example. Mine is obviously all ECU controlled. Part of that involves arranging the cold start settings. I get one go a day early in the morning for a few weeks a year to do that properly and Id have to do it before going to work. Bollocks to that. I'm OK with it coughing and needing to be started twice when it's cold. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by ferny