Thinking of buying a 13/60 Herald Conv.

Alan Armstrong

Whilst thinking this over, I have visited Rimmers site to check on parts availibilty.

Should I need to, I cant find replacement blocks or cylinder heads...are these available ? Are they the same components as the Triumph 1300 saloon?

Any suggestions/help/alternative suppliers would be greatly appreciated!

Alan

Loads of 1300 lumps available on Ebay probably cheaper than Rimmers. The 13/60 is a lovely little car.  Try Canley Classics and James Paddocks too. I think the 1300 Triumph is a different engine, the herald shared the same engine as the Spit. Stick a Spit mk IV head on with twin carbs for some extra pep.

The 13/60 convertible is a great little car, nippy enough so as not to be embarrassed, enough style to get it noticed without looking like a poser.

Easy to work on, plenty of room under the bonnet - more than a vitesse because of the 2 'missing' cylinders.

Ok, so I'm not impartial!

1 hour ago, Alan Armstrong said:

Are they the same components as the Triumph 1300 saloon?

Somewhat odd to ask that question. It's a case of "in case I need a readily available part for a very common car, is it the same as the one in a much rarer model?".

The 1300 (FWD) saloon engine's block is the same but almost nothing else is. Triumph 1300 (RWD) engines are, as Matt said, very common and easy to find. There were variations - in particular a change of main/big end bearing size fairly late in 13/60 production - but the Herald, Spitfire, Toledo and Dolomite engines are all the same for any given year.

Hi Alan, as others have suggested the only supply of engine blocks or cylinder heads is the 2nd hand market. They've been out of production for 40+ years so not surprising really!

It's very easy to find decent blocks and heads on ebay though, they must be the most durable parts of the car and often the only useable bit left after everything else has rotted!