Carburettors

carmadmike

Hi Clive 

Thanks for your reply at the moment I have a set of dolomite sprint hs6 on my vitesse which has a vitesse manifold and air box. I am struggling to find new filters to fit in the standard air box and fit the hs6. Also I have tried the pancake filters but they are too noisy for my liking. Do you have any recommendations as to what will fit without the carb noise. 

Mike 

Ah, I had a 2500Sengine in my vitesse, sprint carbs. And used the vitesse airbox, cut open to match the carb openings. Inside the airbox I used a pair of K+N filter elements, and silicone sealant kept them in place. WIth a bit more ingenuity it would be possible to use the filter plates, attached inside the original airbox, to retain the elements.

Another idea is to leave the airbox empty, and have a pair of hoses off the inlets down to a filter element (K+N sell some with dual connections)

I currently do something similar, an airbox, plus 100mm diameter duct to a K+N cone filter. MUCH quieter than a filter element alone.

12 hours ago, carmadmike said:

Yes, that sounds doable. Do you have any pictures of your set up and any part nos for the filters inside the original box. 

Mike 

Sorry, it was all a long time ago. And I would do it better this time! As I said, would try using the K+N filter metal front and back plates inside the airbox. 

K+N have filter element sizes on the website (or did)

The other option is possibly to use a Sprint airbox, just cut the carb side out leaving a recess, weld, or even bond/pop rivet a steel plate and mark up the carb openings. That was popular for Webers. (clearance to the inner wheel arch would need checking)

Hi

Thanks for all the ideas pictures and advise. I think I will start experimenting with some cheep filters inside the original air filter box before going over to k&n filters. Maybe cutting them down to size if i can find the right thickness and sealing them in with silicone sealant to see how it works out like Clive has said. I will post my results with pictures if possible. Any further advise greatly appreciated. 

Mike