dynamo/alternator wiring diagrams

GigGleR

I'm taking the old engine out of my MK1 2000 estate and putting a 2500 engine in. The problem I have is that the 200 engine and associated wiring is for a dynamo and the new engine has an alternator. So does anyone have a dynamo/alternator conversion wiring diagram anywhere? I need to get this ready for the 10CR so I only have 9 and a half months to get this done! Thats really pushing it for me  ;D

Gertie is a Mk1 with an alternator conversion.  Not sure how correctly it is wired though as the battery light dimly glows under heavy load, even though the ammeter still registers charge and the measured voltage is over 13V with the engine running.  Apart from when I left the lights on all day, never had a battery problem, so must be functionally ok. 

The conversion wiring is done at the voltage regulator (behing drivers side headlamp) and involves patching together cables to suit.  The dynamo connections plug straight into the back of the alternator (unless you have  bolt on terminals!)

It's dark now, but if no-one else has come up with the info, I'll have a look in the daylight and let you know!

Mikeyb: Thats a great start for me, thanks ;D

Colin: I'd love to see that picture if possible, I'll have a dig round in my big pile of back issues and see if I can find it tho'. As to the engine, well, when I bought the car I found that the second gear synchro was stuffed and I found that it would cost £350 for a recon gearbox or I could spend a bit more and get a good 2500 engine and box so I figured what the hell  ;D Nothing wrong with the engine I think, turns over well and starts first time  If you want the engine when I get round to taking it out, make me an offer  ;D

Archived