What is it

Dannyb

I noticed while fixing passenger side curtesy door switch. Behind the footwell carpet the loom has a red/purple wire coming out and going back in via a white plastic connector. Looks like an inline fuse but slimmer. Cannot disconnect or open it and didn't want to force it. I can't find it on any wiring diagrams. 

Spit 1500

Danny

1 hour ago, Dannyb said:

a red/purple wire

Do you mean red with a purple tracer, or could be red, might be purple? 

Anything red is typically lighting related, purple usually fused live. The only red/purple I found on the 1500 wiring diagram is the section between the bulb and the switch for the boot light. (Although I might have missed something)

From the description it sounds like the sort of inline connector that's used on things like the radio feed (and maybe the map light? Can't remember)

18 minutes ago, yorkshire_spam said:

The only red/purple I found on the 1500 wiring

Yeah that's what I spotted, seems strange the wire comes out of the loom and then goes back in 6 inches later. Could be red with purple tracer. My boot light will stay on with all fuses removed which I could not work out. 

I'll will go and get a photo. 

Danny

Definitely an inline fuse holder, You push the ends in (should be spring loaded) and twist anticlockwise and it comes apart. My Vitesse has something similar in that location although cable colours are brown/red one side and red the other which supplies: front parking lamp, tail lamp and no. plate illumination...

I thought it was a fuse holder but it won't push together and I don't really want to force it too much incase I break it. 

I may give it another go and see what stops working when apart. I'm also wondering if it's standard. 

Danny

OK managed to open and indeed it's an inline fuse 10A. Everything still works with fuse removed and there is no live detected either end even with ignition on. The label tied round the harness where the wire comes out is attached. But is this a modification or normal for late Spits. Be interesting if  anyone with a late Spit can have a look. 

Danny

IMG_20220526_120949.jpg